Windows 10 slow start - Hanging on Asus screen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 - I was sick and tired of the time the PC took to boot up. As the title mentioned, when the PC is powered on, it hangs on the Asus screen with the dots circling around for about 2 mins, then arrived pretty much on the login screen.

What I don't understand is why with the PC I have it takes so long to start, when my work laptop with a normal drive (not ssd) and less ram takes 1/3 of the time.

Re-installing hasn't changed the time the PC is taking to boot up, unfortunately.

I also, unplugged all USB devices as I read that it could be the cause, but the time was the same.

Any ideas, or is there a log that can be studied to work out what's causing the delay?

The PC is self-build and has the following setup:

- SSD Drive (for both OS - have windows 10 & Archlinux)
- 8 GB of Ram
- Intel i5-4460
- Asus Z97-P motherboard

Reaction score
Hi,

your SSD should be in SATA0 as the first bootable drive, is that the case?, if you have the main OS in SATA1/2/3 that might be the cause of the slow boot?. :)

Reaction score
Well, the slow boot can be caused by a driver that is having issues loading either hard to locate or incorrect drivers, I would update the motherboard Chipset, IME, BIOS, update them all. Video drivers. Are you using Asus AI 3 Suite? that also can cause issues with booting and conflict with Virus protection?
if you have Both OS on the same SSD that also can cause issues with booting.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I have had two OS on the same machine prior to this install and never had issue. I do not have AI 3 suite install.

Is there a log or a way to analyse which driver could be at fault?

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I have had two OS on the same machine prior to this install and never had issue. I do not have AI 3 suite install.

Is there a log or a way to analyze which driver could be at fault?
Not that I know of. Anytime you clean install the regular drivers need to be updated Chipset, IME, BIOS, Video. Windows 10 like to use their Native drivers sometimes our Asus like the drivers supplied by Asus. Although I have had little problems with both of my Z97 board however I have driver updates turn off in WU. Good, you have not installed the AI suite it can be really problematic and very difficult to uninstall. I don't see an issue running the dual boot but having them on the same Hard Drive/SSD can be troublesome. I have had Win 7 and * running at the same time and 8.1 and 10 with no issues. Alway each OS had its own Hard drive or SSD, I don't play with Linux so I don't really have any input for you on that.
I would install all the ASUS drivers and see if that doesn't solve your issue, then let windows during update install the windows native drivers until you figure out which one is causing the issue. or just block Driver update using gpedit.

Reaction score
Well I tried to update those driver before wiping the drive clean but windows was complaining that the one I tried to installed coming from the Asus website were outdated compare to the one already installed?

Reaction score
Did you update BIOS as @Clintlgm suggested?. ;)

You are also using ArchLinux, how is GRUB set up?, is it using SDA or did you create a different partition for the Linux boot loader?. Do you have a UEFI Linux partition for your Arch OS?. :)

Reaction score
Good morning,

Updated the Bios this morning, installed all drivers from Asus and it nothing has changed, it still hangs on the Asus screen from 2 minutes or so??

Reaction score
Thank you for your input, I don't think there is an issue with it has the performance on the Linux is brilliant. But see below the results.

results.png

Reaction score
Not at all, I reached the gui login screen in 10secs.

Hence why I am looking into it, not to mention that I have the time unfortunately.

Reaction score
If that is the case, I would check Task manager > Start-up and see what is loading with your Windows system as it boots, you may have some apps that you don't need to run at boot time?. :)

Reaction score
If that is the case, I would check Task manager > Start-up and see what is loading with your Windows system as it boots, you may have some apps that you don't need to run at boot time?. :)
Again, went through it already and nothing there.

results.png
Speed looks good on the read side but very slow on the write side?
It's about 4/5 years old - writing speed weren't that great at that time.

Reaction score
What is the Intel "Delayed launcher" app?, I have never heard of that?, try disabling it once and see if speeds increase at all. :)

Reaction score
Well, thanks to Zinoub from tom's hardware forum it's now sorted.

The culprit was the IMEI driver, it's now disabled and the computer boot in 9secs ! From 2mins plus!!!

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Reaction score
With respect to the author, with whom I have talked, I am Repeating the solution for info:

You are experiencing a big delay of 93s before you get to the login screen.
https://jpst.it/28oyw

usually, delays occurring during this boot phase are caused by bad or outdated drivers. And the Winner is Intel Management Engine Interface (Again).
https://jpst.it/28oyZ

I've seen a lot of similar cases where IMEI is the culprit.

If you open your device manager console, you'll probably see an error on this driver (like This device cannot start. (Code 10))

To solve this issue you can upgrade the driver.
Here are two websites you can try (if upgrading from the intel website doesn't work, try the second one. Many users have upgraded successfully from this last one):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28679/Intel-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Windows-8-1-and-Windows-10?product=34227

https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

If the upgrade doesn't work you can disable this driver from the Device Manager console.

Zinoub (Toms Hardware)

Last edited:

Ask a Question