SOLVED All Apps on Windows 10 running slow

Reaction score
I have just replaced my HDD with a Sandisk SSD and downloaded a fresh copy of Windows 10. I got at least 2 errors;
OOBE Welcome and OOBE Keyboard. I skipped both errors and eventually the Windows 10 loaded. I downloaded all the updates and immediately noticed that Edge was taking 10 to 15 seconds to open. I went to the MS website and downloaded another copy of windows ( incase the first download was corrupt) and the same errors appeared . I again skipped and Windows loaded successfully. Same problem exists, this time I download Chrome and Firefox. They took 10 to 15 secs to open. I went in to the trouble shooting menu and took the repair route and this seemed to clear the problem. I subsequently downloaded all my files and the only programmes i downloaded was MS Office and Norton 360. The problem comes back intermittently. Can anyone offer advice on how to clear this issue, as Windows tun OK on the old HDD

Reaction score
Hi Baz,

your main SSD connection should be in SATA 0 on the motherboard, is that the case?, the other drives are not so important!. :)

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply, this is a laptop, and I just disconnected the old HDD and replaced with the new SSD

Reaction score
Hi Baz,

when you did the fresh install with the new SSD, did you allow Windows to create the partitions for you or did you create your own with a partitioning tool and if so, what format did you use?. :)

Reaction score
I let windows create the partitions, however I have just checked and I only have a C Drive, could the other one be hidden

Reaction score
Hi Baz,

having only one drive is quite normal if you let Windows do the partitioning!.

What are the specs of your PC, IE: CPU speed, amount of RAM and are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows?. :)

Reaction score
Hi and thanks, this is an older laptop , spec is as follows
240GB SSD
4GB RAM
AMD V140 2.3 GHz
64 Bit system
Before I installed the new SSD, the older HDD ran windows 10 OK

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sandisk SSD
I just noticed you have an Sandisk SSD, I have had problems with this make myself, I had to replace 3 of them within a year of using them and have found that make to be very unreliable. Put your old HDD back in and see if the problems go away, if everything runs fine, I would ask for a refund ion the Sandisk SSD and replace it with a different make like Intenso or another brand!. :)

Reaction score
Hi, apologies for the delay, I have solved part of the problem. I did a clean boot and found that the Goggle Updater was causing problems. When I remove the entries, the laptop is faster. However I would have thought the performance should have been better. I have downloaded the Sandisk dashboard and run a report and also the Crystsldiskmark software and have sent it off to Sandisk.

I might be asking too much from this laptop, but I’ll wait and see what Sandisk say.

I cant reinstall the old HDD as it was totally faulty. I had all my files backed up so this wasn’t an issue.

Reaction score
Hi, received the following reply from Sandisk;
Since the Sata negotiated speed is 3Gb/s the maximum that your drive reach while connected on Sata 2 is 280MB/s and the Crystal Mark speed shows 255 so it is very close to the maximum theoretical speed. The processor is single core AMD V140 so this could be a limited factor – especially if the amount of RAM is also low.
It looks like my ageing laptop is now on its last legs. I have disabled a couple of windows processes and the speed in opening webpages and files is considerably quicker. Also Firefox appears faster than MS Edge.

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question