Windows 10 default apps for file types and protocals not working

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question but I believe it is a Windows problem and not one with Outlook or Word. I am using a fully updated version of windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016. In Outlook , when I try to open a HTML email in the browser it always opens in Microsoft Word instead. I have searched the internet and found others with the same problem but none of the solutions offered have helped. In my default settings Firefox is my default browser. I have checked in the file types and protocols and FTP, HTTP and HTTPS are all set to Firefox. Word is the default for .doc, .dochtml, .docx, .docxml, .dot, .dochtml, .dotm, .dotx, .mht, .rtf, .wbk, .wiz files. Firefox is default for .xhtml, .xht, .tvpi, .htm, .html. I can't find any setting in Outlook or Word that controls what program open the emails when you click on the open in browser link. I have tried changing the default browser to Edge and that didn't help. I hate it when something that should be simple like this turns out to be almost impossible. Windows/Microsoft engineers keep making changes to these programs. Why don't they fix this. Just add a right click choice to the open in browser button to let you pick the program to open the email with like you can do in Windows explorer. While they're at it they could make the columns in the choose default apps by file type page sort-able like columns in Windows explorer. Sure would make it easier to find all the file types associated with a given program. But I digress; does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Reaction score
Hi schabelf,

have you checked in Settings > Apps >Default apps to see what mail app is set as default?.

1582394687224.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when I try to open a HTML email in the browser it always opens in Microsoft Word instead.
Word is the default for .doc, .dochtml, .docx, .docxml, .dot, .dochtml, .dotm, .dotx, .mht, .rtf, .wbk, .wiz files.
Not sure if this is gonna help or not, but....
I recently had a similar issue with the text at the top of my email. It looks like this....
Capture.PNG

Whenever I attempt to "click here to view it in a web browser" it didn't work as expected.

I discovered that my issue was because I had effectively disabled Internet Explorer by using the Turn Windows Features on and off, within the Programs and Features applet in Control Panel.
Once I fixed that, by turning it back on, I had to set it as my default file handler for .mht and .mhtml files and all was good.
While other modern browsers (i.e. Google Chrome) would open it, it did not open it as a functioning web page which seems to be the case with most of the latest and greatest. So you may be left with good ole IE if your issue is the same as mine was.

Just thought I would pass it along in case you might want to investigate further.

Reaction score
I also have the need now and then to open an .mht file [Web page complete, single file] and need IE for it. I have resisted installing Google Chrome but may need to on a spare Notebook 'just in case'. The Web page, complete does create a _files Folder that contains the support features for the page but it and the page itself need to be in the same Folder on the drive. An example of what that Folder name looks like:
Gather Windows System Info_files
The file associated would be thusly named Gather Windows System Info.html.

Reaction score
My default mail app is set to Outlook. Regarding the response from Trouble; i'm afraid I don't understand. It can't find any reference in the turn windows features on and off to IE. In any case, IE is now obsolete and shouldn't be used. You said "click here to view it in a web browser" didn't work as expected. What did it do?

Ask a Question