SOLVED Windows Anniversary Update - defaultuser0 what did you do?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Did you remove this profile or let it be?
If you removed it, which method did you use and has it affected your machine in any way?

I removed it completely including registry keys.
  • Ran cmd as administrator and issued net user /delete defaultuser0
  • Deleted the 'DefaultUser0' folder from C:\Users\
  • Deleted the 'DefaultUser0' registry entry from: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\
  • Each of the listed profiles and checked the 'ProfielImagePath' entry to verify the associated profile
In a Virtual machine also performed those steps and even upgraded to Creators update

Regedit32

Reaction score
I never had this bug experience.

Another user in our Forum did and this is the instructions I gave them to resolve it.

OK when booted in Normal mode:
  • Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab then check box next to Safe Boot
  • Click Apply, then OK, then Restart

When computer Restarts you'll end up at the Safe Mode Login page:
  • Sign in
  • Right-click on Start and select Control Panel
  • When Viewing by Category click on User Accounts
  • The window will refresh and you can now click Remove user accounts
  • Select the DefaultUser0 account
  • Now click Delete the account
  • You'll be asked whether to keep Files for DefaultUser0. Select Delete Files
  • Next you'll be prompted to confirm deletion of account. Select Delete Account

The Delete Account button will highlight and the System will appear frozen. This is normal, just wait!

• You can now close the Control Panel window.
  • Next using File Explorer navigate to C:\Users. If the DefaultUser0 folder is still there, right-click and Delete then close File Explorer
  • Next right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompt appears
  • In the left pane of Registry Editor expand the keys to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows NT
— CurrentVersion
ProfileList​
  • Expand the ProfileList key then left-click any sub key that begins S-1-5-21 to allow you to view its content in the right pane.

In the right pane note the Data Value for the ProfileImagePath. One of these may point to C:\Users\DefaultUser0.

If you locate one that does point to that unwanted user, then in left pane Right-click on the S-1-5-21 key containing this unwanted ProfileImagePath and select Delete and if prompted Confirm deletion.

Close Registry Editor now.

• Right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab then remove check from the box next to Safe Boot
  • Click Apply, then OK,, then Restart

That is it. All done!

Theoretically, when you initially confirmed Delete Account having chosen not to keep files Windows ought to delete that DefaultUser0 folder from C:\Users, and also delete the S-1-5-21 sub key that points to a ProfileImagePath with a Data Value which points to C:\Users\DefaultUser0.

Having said that the reason I gave some extra finger exercise is because of the fact this is a known bug that appears for some users, so better to play it safe and manually verify these are deleted.

If for any reason the DefaultUser0 account did not appear when you opened User ACcounts via Control panel in Safe Mode, then in lieu of that, you can:
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Click Yes when User Account Control prompt appears
  • Then in the console simply type the following two commands:

net user then press Enter key to display list of User accounts. Make note of precisely how DefaultUser0 is in this list as the account name is case sensitive and must be typed as it appears in the second command.

For example: net user DefaultUser0 /delete then press Enter key

If prompted agree to deletion by typing Y and pressing Enter key

If you had to delete it this way, then you will more likely need to make changes in the Users folder and Registry as all ready given earlier.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@Regedit32 apparently this bug is exclusive to fresh clean installs of 1607... All my virtual machines of that nature have it. But its possible some other factors influence it.

Blimey fantastic post btw, its the unfolded revision of what I did more or less. great reply ;) You really live up to your username :D Windows 10 Forums is lucky to have you. Im a fan for sure.

Edit: Im marking this as solved because it wasn't a problem to begin with and it was solved before I posted.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes its very unusual that some people suffer while others do not.

Case in point, that Hoody person with their 'Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization'.

The posting I offered there appears to resolve this, but in his case it did not, and he claims he has other computers running fine. The more I see these issues appear the more suspicious I am becoming of the .admx files Windows is installing on our systems. I really must take some time to modify them to see whether I can replicate these issues and figure out what precisely is going on.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Its not unusual, some circumstances like hardware age, and configurations, trigger less stable code portions, but, in some cases, specifically what you mention, I know almost to 100% certainty what the problem is in the Hood, and I dont have the patience to deal with people unwilling to help others help them.

There's only so much you can do with sketchy info and bad description and gut instincts and experience. Sometimes you need real information to get to the bottom of something.

Moral of the story, there's plenty more fish getting caught in the net we can help release back. Besides We aint getting paid ;)

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
They all ready freed Willy. He'll eat them all :eek:

No one gets paid here. That is why I joined this forum. Volunteers all willing to share their knowledge for the betterment of the entire Forum community and anyone else who views the site.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No one gets paid here
Wait...... what???
I was certain that the check was "in the mail"
Dang it !! Harsher expletive, Harsher expletive, Harsher expletive.... heck and fooey.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Virtual
Reality perhaps.
Put the goggles on and see myself getting paid.
Only problem is bumping into things if I don't take them off and then......... :(

Regedit32

Reaction score
Picturing Trouble opening his first paycheck.

That shadow behind you . . . would that be the wife with her list of priorities?!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Fortunately I only have the one set of VR Goggles, so she's completely unaware of my vast wealth.

Ask a Question