Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Reaction score
After being upgraded, without my knowledge, I found some of my Windows 7 games would no longer work. The computer was also noticeably slower. I had to download and install a different antivirus, also. I had been using AVG, but it no longer worked. I could not uninstall it nor upgrade it. I have run antivirus and other utilities to see if I had malware or viruses, and found none of either.

I now am running Linux. My computer is running at normal speed and I have all my documents and other personal files copied over. I may not go back to Windows, ever.

Some things about Linux:

1. Very few viruses are written for Linux
2. Comes with free Office Product that will do all that MS Office will do
3. All of the above costs: $0.00, yes, it is free.
4. I have never had an update to break the system like Windows has done for me many times.

Some Cons:

Not a lot of commercial programs are written for Linux, but there are free versions of almost everything for Windows. I would suggest that before just installing it, get someone who is knowledgeable to show it to you. Linux does have a GUI similar to Windows.

If you use a web browser for playing games or reading e-mails, you can use Linux just as easy as Windows.

Just one man's opinion.

A little about me: I have worked with and on computers since 1982. I have done quite a bit of networking and working with Windows software.

Reaction score
I have used Unix/Xenix/Linux on and off since around 1982 and the current 'desktop' versions are very good and easy to use. Fast and reliable. The server versions are the OS used on a good proportion of the worlds supercomputers.
The free Office suite ( Libre Office) is 99.9% compatible with MS Office for sure.
Just about every serious Windows app has a Linux equivalent...usually free.

But for a lot of people they have a problem...they don't get the latest and greatest games on Linux.
Linux can be very awkward to get and install drivers for new hardware.

I have used and developed on Windows from Win3.1 through Windows NT and Windows 2000 before I retired and used W7 and now W10 since. I admit to preferring Windows as a user.

T_J

Reaction score
I’ve owned/upgraded two Window PCs: 98se > 2000 > XP; and 7 > 10.

I’ve owned/upgraded two Linux PCs: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS > Ubuntu 12.04 LTS > Ubuntu 14.04 LTS > Linux Mint 17.3 LTS; and Lubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I like Windows better than Linux. My 2012 Dell i3 W10 desktop runs everything perfectly and seems just as fast as it was with W7 (see techspot link below). All software/games I’ve bought over the year’s only work on Windows. Sometimes doing things with Linux is a pain in the neck and I just gave up on certain things (after hours of research / trying). I’d turn on the GUFW firewall in your Linux if available.

Hopefully you didn't download Linux Mint 17.3 cinnamon ISO on February 20, 2016 from Linux mint website; hackers modified Linux Mint 17.3 cinnamon ISO with backdoor. I just don't trust Linux download ISO / OS for online banking, eBay, etc. I trust Windows OS having no hacker backdoors. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3035...side-a-compromised-version-of-linux-mint.html

“The same hardware that currently runs Windows 7 competently can be upgraded to Windows 10 with no issues whatsoever on the performance front.” > > http://www.techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
I downloaded Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon ISO from Linux Mint website on February 6, 2016. The Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon ISO with the hacked-backdoor was on Saturday, February 20, 2016. One of the more popular versions - Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon was first available December 4, 2015. Supplying hacked ISOs is not acceptable.

I’ve been on the recipient end of data loss due to companies being hacked too many times. Currently I have security freezes at TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian. I did get 2-years of free credit monitoring from Anthem plus the AllClear ID monitoring. The companies (that I know of) who compromised my data are listed below along with approximate media notification dates.

Anthem Feb 2015 (affected 1/3 of Americans)
Home Depot Sept 2014
Scottrade Oct 2015
IRS May 2015 (not sure if my data was hacked)
Yahoo Sept 2016
Wendy’s July 2016 https://payment.wendys.com/paymentcardcheck.html (not all Wendy's store were hacked, this link will let you know if your Wendy's store was hacked)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The infected Mint iso was only up for a day. Hackers got access to one of the servers hosting the iso (many servers do). It can happen to any distro because they don't host the iso themselves.

T_J

Reaction score
I like Linux and Windows. I don’t like data breaches of any kind. Bureau of Justice Statistics has 17.6 million U.S. residents experienced identity theft in 2014.

Linux Mint hacker “More troubling for most of us is the hacker also stole personal data from the web site’s forum. The hacker swiped the data twice: Once on January 28, and once on February 18, two days before the hack was confirmed.” “The real issue is the more than 70,000 people who’ve had their information exposed.” from zdnet link below

Hacker placed the ‘full forum dump’ on a dark web marketplace for 0.197 bitcoin per download (~ $85). from article link at bottom of link below (Hacker explains how he put 'backdoor' ...)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/has-your-linux-mint-desktop-been-hacked/

Last edited:

Ask a Question