SOLVED Multi-threaded Windows application runs slower on recent versions (1909, 1903) versus 1803

Reaction score
Some years ago I wrote a multi-threaded calculation tool in PureBasic on a laptop that still runs on Windows 10 17134 = 1803. It has an Intel i7-4710HQ with 4 cores. About two years ago I changed the development environment to a desktop PC with an Intel i7-5820K with 6 cores. At that time it had the same Windows as the desktop PC. The (compiled) application does not write to disk in the calculation midfase, which is the time-consuming one, although it is multi-threaded.
If the application ran one could see in the taskmanager that the CPU load went to (almost) 100% on both the laptop and the desktop.

The desktop got its Windows updates, first to 18362=1903(not 1809), and yesterday to 18363=1909. Last week I had to do some maintenance and I wanted to test the application. To my surprise the CPU load was no more than about 50%. No memory or disk shortage. The same updated application on the non-updated laptop went again to almost 100%. Assuming this was a Windows feature, I wondered if an update of Windows on the desktop PC would help to solve it. It did not. The application needs more than twice the time in 1903 and 1909 than in 1803 for the calculation fase. It seems to me that Windows in (1809?, )1903 and 1909 is forcing the CPU load down. Other reasons are not impossible but should be in de desktop PCs environment, but I have no clue other than the Windows version.

I searched internet and found some related discussions but no helpful solutions. Here was a discussion about a gaming performance drop by 1903:
Game performance Perhaps it is related. Or this one: Comparison, with a comparison of several Windows 10 versions. (1803: the bad, 1809: the ugly).

My questions:
- Are there more people experiencing a performance drop in multi threaded applications (among which games) since 1903 or perhaps 1809?
- Is it possible to adjust Windows 1909 so it wil give the CPU cores full throttle again?

Reaction score
Solved. Today I got the solution. It was not due to Windows versions but due to a difference in environment. On the desktop PC mutex locking occured more often. I measured the time of the mutex lockings by reason and found the problem. I changed it and the CPU cores are running full throttle again.

Ask a Question