Multiple crashes

Reaction score
I'm totally mad! my laptop is stopping very frequently. I got different BSODs of different types : memory management, Store exception, and others.
Windows stops on different cases and I can't relate it to a certain issue.
it freezes suddenly with high HDD usage then in a while the Blue screen appears.
I receive these errors increasingly after adding 2nd HDD through Caddy (I migrated system to SSD).
I tried everything I could, updated windows, updated drivers, and scanning HDD, reinstalling windows, checking both HDD and SDD cables, and scan for viruses.
I can't find help.

My PC is Asus X555LA
CPU I7 4510U
RAM 8 GB
HDD 1TB
SSD Corsair 240GB
Graphics Nvidia 840M
Running Windows 10pro 1903

Could anyone help me please !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (overnight even better). First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Reaction score
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (overnight even better). First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
Dear Trouble,

My 8GB RAM is divided into 4 GB on board and another 4GB in ONE slot, would it make difference?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Stick with troubles suggestion first.

But it would help to know whether or not you have been fiddling with Virtual Memory management. i.e. Are you allow Windows to manage virtual memory, or have you manually adjusted that yourself and disabled page filing.

If you have taken over - I'd recommend you go back and let Windows handle it, before testing your ram!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
would it make difference?
Not particularly. Primarily or at least initially you want to as mentioned above
First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test.

It'll be after that if you have failures / errors, things might get a little bit more complicated.

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I made sure that windows is managing the virtual memory not customized.
I also made the memory test and found no errors.

I accidentally found that CPU clock speed is 2793 MHz and my CPU is supposed to clock at 2.0 GHz. is that means anything wrong?
the same readings also in CPUz and windows task manager.

What should be the next step to diagnose this big problem?

CoreTemp-Scr.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I accidentally found that CPU clock speed is 2793 MHz and my CPU is supposed to clock at 2.0 GHz.
IF you suspect that the problem is due to an overclock then I would suggest you enter the BIOS and return everything there to defaults

Reaction score
IF you suspect that the problem is due to an overclock then I would suggest you enter the BIOS and return everything there to defaults
I restored the defaults although I didn't remember that I changed them ... the readings are the same !

Reaction score

this will make you understand why you had the high clock frequency. The CPU is actually clocked at 2GHz but can be clocked up to 3.1GHz, its called "Turbo boost"...

nothing to worry about that anyway and I do not think this is your problem.
You said you migrated the system to a SSD in a caddy?? I presume that caddy is in the place of the ODD?? then this may be your problem.
I tried on some of my computers using a SSD in a caddy for a more convenient change of OS, but it did not work as the ODD port does not provide the speed the OS needs to work properly.
Correct me please if I am on the wrong path...

Reaction score

this will make you understand why you had the high clock frequency. The CPU is actually clocked at 2GHz but can be clocked up to 3.1GHz, its called "Turbo boost"...

nothing to worry about that anyway and I do not think this is your problem.
You said you migrated the system to a SSD in a caddy?? I presume that caddy is in the place of the ODD?? then this may be your problem.
I tried on some of my computers using a SSD in a caddy for a more convenient change of OS, but it did not work as the ODD port does not provide the speed the OS needs to work properly.
Correct me please if I am on the wrong path...

Thanks for your reply,
there're two things I can't understand.
First: How could the CPU be boosted or overclocked without any action from me?
Second: I previously supposed that the problem has come from system migration so I put the SSD (which has system on it) in the place of original HDD and HDD in the caddy.
N.B: Caddy in compartment that takes a second HDD just of the same shape and size of laptop DVD drive and could replace it.

I'm in a real mess of this awful error and received so many BSODs and tried many solutions. and I wonder why Microsoft can't just tell us the error directly instead of these ambiguous BSODs and error codes.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,
there're two things I can't understand.
First: How could the CPU be boosted or overclocked without any action from me?
Second: I previously supposed that the problem has come from system migration so I put the SSD (which has system on it) in the place of original HDD and HDD in the caddy.
N.B: Caddy in compartment that takes a second HDD just of the same shape and size of laptop DVD drive and could replace it.

I'm in a real mess of this awful error and received so many BSODs and tried many solutions. and I wonder why Microsoft can't just tell us the error directly instead of these ambiguous BSODs and error codes.

Thanks again.
The CPU is designed to boost when cpu when a heavier load is put on it, as long as thermals are within reason. All modern cpu's, both intel and amd, do this.

Ask a Question