File transfer over wifi from desktop to multiple laptops

Reaction score
Good day!

I have a need to work from a desktop, hard wired, transferring files/folders, etc. to 10 laptops connected via the wifi. The idea is, go into window's explorer, drag and drop the file/folders needed onto each of the laptop's D: drive without having to go to each laptop and accept the file transfer. The desktop is technically the admin, but I'm not currently able to see each of the laptops. I've enabled file and sharing from all the laptops, so I'm not sure why I'm unable to see them.

Is there a simple way of doing what I described without purchasing additional softwares?

Reaction score
Good day!

I have a need to work from a desktop, hard wired, transferring files/folders, etc. to 10 laptops connected via the wifi. The idea is, go into window's explorer, drag and drop the file/folders needed onto each of the laptop's D: drive without having to go to each laptop and accept the file transfer. The desktop is technically the admin, but I'm not currently able to see each of the laptops. I've enabled file and sharing from all the laptops, so I'm not sure why I'm unable to see them.

Is there a simple way of doing what I described without purchasing additional software?
You'll need to set up a peer to peer network, on all the computers, Set up shares and Security for each of the drivers you want to share. You can google how to set it up. it hasn't changed much in 20 years or so. However, what new in 10 is that you have to set up the Security Tab as well as the shares. Then you'll have to ensure that a couple of services are running https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-set-up-and-join-a-workgroup-in-windows-10.2738861/

Then you'll have to ensure that a couple of services are running
Type in Servies.msc right click services.msc and run as admin
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Both of these need to auto Start

Reaction score
You could also map the drives of each laptop to the desktop, that way you can access all the drives at once. Just make sure that you have the drives on the laptops set for sharing.

Ask a Question