SOLVED Bluetooth issue (I think) on Windows 10 pc related to file transfers

Reaction score
Windows 10 home.
Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693) with all available updates applied.
And, all of the Bluetooth devices in the device manager are updated as well.
No virus on the laptop.
SFC /Scannow doesn't find any issues.
Error checking on my C drive (where everything is installed), finds nothing.

The goal:
Transfer a file from my Galaxy S4 Android phone to my laptop (above) via Bluetooth.
Or
Transfer a file from my laptop (above) to my Galaxy S4 Android phone.

Bluetooth is turned on.
And my phone and the laptop are paired.

I've read how it is supposed to work, but it doesn't quite work that way on my laptop.

I click on "Settings/Devices/Bluetooth/Send or receive files via Bluetooth/Receive Files"

I immediately get a Bluetooth File Transfer dialog that reads: "Windows was unable to transfer some file. An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used. To try again, click the Back arrow".

First, the back arrow doesn't respond. It "blinks" when I click on it but it doesn't take me back to the previous screen.
I have to hit the Cancel button.

I can repeat this failure as many time as I want.

If I choose instead, to right click on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray and choose "Receive a file", I go directly to the failure message described above.

I've started and stopped the the "Bluetooth Support Service" and made sure it was set to "Automatic".

If I try to send a file, I get to choose the dive that is currently paired with the laptop, then I get to choose a file, but after clicking the "Next" button, I get the exact same failure message described above.

I'm so confused.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Found the solution.

And that is to replace the currently installed Bluetooth driver with a more current one.

Device Manager.

Expand Bluetooth.

Right click on the driver, in my case it read "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) and choose to delete it.

Then I went to the HP software and download site (Cuz I have an HP ENVY Notebook) and chose to download and install the "Broadcom Bluetooth Driver".

Once the install was completed, all of the Bluetooth objects appeared once again (including my phone. It was still pared with my Win 10 laptop).

I was then able to send files from my laptop to my phone and my phone was able to send files to my Win 10 laptop.

Interestingly enough, earlier today I right clicked on the (now deleted and replaced) Bluetooth driver and chose to update it.

Updates were applied but my issue continued.

The OLD Bluetooth driver was the one that was installed on my pc when I purchased it new about a year ago.

This is the first time I have ever tried using Bluetooth on my Windows 10 pc.

So I wonder if it ever worked at all.

Oh well, things are now working according to the "How To" Bluetooth guides and I am grateful.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue, they mu consider my experience and documented solution.

JustRay in Wisconsin

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience and solution.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question