SOLVED Bluetooth Speaker won't connect.

Reaction score
Logitech X50 is paired but won't connect to a Laptop. Have tried uninstalling, turning on and off, speaker close to laptop, fully charged, Win. 10 updated. It used to work about once in every three attempts but now doesn't ever connect. It may be a co-incidence but on a couple of occasions wiggling the plug seemed to cause some static followed by a connection, it's only been used a few times indoors.

Reaction score
It may be a co-incidence but on a couple of occasions wiggling the plug seemed to cause some static followed by a connection, it's only been used a few times indoors.
Could you be a little more specific as to "the plug"?

If the device is not outdated it should work normally assuming a Wi-Fi environment is not overriding the Bluetooth radio. If the Bluetooth device on your system, whatever it is, has a strong signal and compatible you should be able to go to Settings-devices-Bluetooth and pair the device, which you say it is.

Once it is paired, a compatible device should connect automatically when it is in range. If it doesn't connect automatically, the selecting the device and using the "Connect" button should reconnect.

Make sure you are not trying to pair with more than one device.

Reaction score
Could you be a little more specific as to "the plug"?

If the device is not outdated it should work normally assuming a Wi-Fi environment is not overriding the Bluetooth radio. If the Bluetooth device on your system, whatever it is, has a strong signal and compatible you should be able to go to Settings-devices-Bluetooth and pair the device, which you say it is.

Once it is paired, a compatible device should connect automatically when it is in range. If it doesn't connect automatically, the selecting the device and using the "Connect" button should reconnect.

Make sure you are not trying to pair with more than one device.
It's a 3.5mm auxillary plug i.e. as an alternative to a Bluetooth radio connection. Today I moved the computer and speaker away as far away from any metal or electronic devices and it worked a couple of times for a couple of seconds and then stopped so it's looks more and more like a faulty speaker. Another oddity is that on recent occassions when I've removed and re paired it the icon appears with a partly correct title i.e. X50 but the word stereo is added and the icon shows headphones and a microphone which again suggests to me that there is a fault in the signal coming from the Speaker. Will attempt find another Bluetooth enabled device and see whether it works with it.

Reaction score
I will have to test but I don't believe a Bluetooth device, when run as a wired device, will connect. So don't leave the wire plugged in during testing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was unplugged whenever I tried for Bluetooth pairing/connecting. Tried with another speaker; worked once or twice for a few seconds and no more. I've ticked and unticked so many boxes relating to Bluetooth that it is probably unworkable without either expert advice or maybe somehow deleting every element of Bluetooth including all settings; this doesn't seem likely to be possible.

Reaction score
This has been going on for the last year or did it just start up again after some update?

Bluetooth is normally a very reliable connection. But it is a radio in a frequency close to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies. The distance between devices is limited.

If the speakers you are using are a Logitech sound bar, I have seen some comments regarding a registry modification which seems to have helped other folks. If other Bluetooth devices behave the same way then that would seem to point to the Bluetooth in the computer.. You really only have two options to repair a system's Bluetooth radio. The first involves replacing its driver with a better or more functional one or you can replace the Bluetooth radio.

Reaction score
Thanks. I do use WiFi so that may be it; when it worked for a while last it was about as far from the modem as practicable; actually having a plug in option is not an issue in fact if I need a replacement will try and get one without Bluetooth it should be either lighter/cheaper or better quality in the same way that a wired mouse is so much easier to use than a twice as heavy battery model.

Ask a Question