SOLVED Multiple applications have broken after 9/26 Windows Update

Reaction score
I am having multiple application crashes on this system after my windows update on 9/26 which installed KB4515842 and KB4516045. Printing a simple .txt from Notepad causes Notepad to crash, and WordPad appears to open files (window with file contents appears) and then the window goes poof. LibreOffice (multiple versions) crashes when you do almost anything. PDF-XChange Editor (Tracker Software) goes poof if I try to print a file, printing from all the applications I've tried causes that app to crash. I'm seeing multiple threads on this board that are describing issues that sound very similar.

Help please. Pointers to recovery steps will be greatly appreciated. I have a second laptop which has also installed these two updates, and it appears to be running normally; its OS build level is 17134.1039

1570177769382.png

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
View attachment 10604

I am having multiple application crashes on this system after my windows update on 9/26 which installed KB4515842 and KB4516045. Printing a simple .txt from Notepad causes Notepad to crash, and WordPad appears to open files (window with file contents appears) and then the window goes poof. LibreOffice (multiple versions) crashes when you do almost anything. PDF-XChange Editor (Tracker Software) goes poof if I try to print a file, printing from all the applications I've tried causes that app to crash. I'm seeing multiple threads on this board that are describing issues that sound very similar.

Help please. Pointers to recovery steps will be greatly appreciated. I have a second laptop which has also installed these two updates, and it appears to be running normally; its OS build level is 17134.1039

Al
I have the same problem with libreoffice after installing KB4517211 and KB4522738 on window 1903. I believe it is the optional KB4517211 update that is causing this. Unfortunately I cannot uninstall this update (WIndows refuses to do so).

Can you install a debug/development version of libreoffice and get the resulting crash report to the people at Libreoffice? That might help them to help us.

Having done that can you uninstall either of your two updates? If not, can you do a restore from a restore point before the updates?

Reaction score
Can you install a debug/development version of libreoffice and get the resulting crash report to the people at Libreoffice? That might help them to help us.

That's a discussion for the LO forums, and I'll answer that one there...

Reaction score
There's a new update for 1903 (KB4524147), and I assume one for 1803 as well, that is said to fix some printing and other application problems. It may be worth a try.

Reaction score
I have 'just' installed KB4524149 and am now at OS Build 17134.1040. This build appeared to include (from the KB4524149_V1.000 bill of materials) a new jscript.dll which LibreOffice had previously fingered as the crashing code. KB4524149 is advertised to "correct(s) a recent printing issue some users have experienced". After the update I still have the printing issue such that when I attempt to print, the application that attempts it crashes (firefox browser, Notepad, WordPad (WP still crashes before it really does anything)). LibreOffice still crashes too (ref: "After latest Windows update, LibreOffice no longer works.")

Reaction score
I have 'just' installed KB4524149 and am now at OS Build 17134.1040. This build appeared to include (from the KB4524149_V1.000 bill of materials) a new jscript.dll which LibreOffice had previously fingered as the crashing code. KB4524149 is advertised to "correct(s) a recent printing issue some users have experienced". After the update I still have the printing issue such that when I attempt to print, the application that attempts it crashes (firefox browser, Notepad, WordPad (WP still crashes before it really does anything)). LibreOffice still crashes too (ref: "After latest Windows update, LibreOffice no longer works.")
Not good. From a few google searches you are not alone with still having the printing issues.

I'm going to have to start thinking about reverting the failing system to linux. I've had almost no failures at all for years on my linux (ubuntu-based) systems, but when there is an issue there's not much personal support out there, which is why I moved one system to use Windows 10 as its only OS.

Reaction score
I want to share the solution I found after many hours of work to solve the problem with windows 10 x64 pro printing with photoshop and microsoft word, excel crash
I saw many people have this issue, I hope I can help them all. I'd like to hear from you guys if the solution I adopted is fine.

I encountered this issue after the windows 10 september/october 2019 update (I don't know if the update was the problem or files got corrupted anyway...) and especially photoshop can't print and crashes.

I opened Windows Event Viewer and selected on the left "Event Viewer (Local)", then in the central part "Application Error", there you can find the latest photoshop, word, excel error, printing errors.

My problem was related to: jscript.dll and msvcrt.dll

After hours of trying I copied those files from a Windows 10 pro (pre-september 2019 update) virtual installation in VmWare (for newbyes this is a virtualization software you can download and try it) and pasted them in the system32 folder (search for the solution to change folder permissions to paste/modify files in the system folder), if after modyfing the folder permissions you aren't allowed to paste the files, rename the ones already in the system32 folder and now rename and paste the new ones, rename the new ones like the old ones.

DONE! NOW YOU SOLVED THE ERROR, PROBLEM OF PHOTOSHOP, WORD, EXCEL CAN'T PRINT, CRASHES IN WINDOWS 10!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
My problem was related to: jscript.dll and msvcrt.dll

After hours of trying I copied those files from a Windows 10 pro (pre-september 2019 update) virtual installation in VmWare (for newbyes this is a virtualization software you can download and try it) and pasted them in the system32 folder (search for the solution to change folder permissions to paste/modify files in the system folder), if after modyfing the folder permissions you aren't allowed to paste the files, rename the ones already in the system32 folder and now rename and paste the new ones, rename the new ones like the old ones.

WOW! (I haven't tried that yet)

Reaction score
the new KB4524147 which should solve the printing issue didn't solve anything, my solution did.
I opened a thread with the solution but mods are not displaying it yet, I suggest when/if they display it to switch there to help users and the thread to be better indexed by search engines!

Reaction score
WOW! (I haven't tried that yet)
I hope it works. However, the problem with this sort of fix is that the next update may well overwrite it again. So it's great for the short term, but the underlying issue remains, particularly if you are on 1803 for which, I believe, support ends fairly soon.

Reaction score
Have you considered updating to version 1903. More and more, people may not remember any quirks of 1803. Any week now you will be even further behind.

Reaction score
Have you considered updating to version 1903. More and more, people may not remember any quirks of 1803. Any week now you will be even further behind.
I'm on 1903, and was completely up to date with updates. I got the exact same problem with libreoffice on one out of 3 systems on 1903 (all on the same libreoffice version). The kb numbers are different (KB4517211 and 4522738), but the results of taking updates at the end of September were the same. I can't take the risk of trying the updates released yesterday for fear of borking the affected system again (it's been recovered to just before the offending updates).

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED! My HP printer driver was out of date. After updating with the latest HP driver, everything (that I've tested so far) is working again. This may or may not be limited to HP printers, so updating your printer driver should be your first step. Thanks to the LibreOffice team for sleuthing this out...

Reaction score

Here's another quote and some other links (if this post can get past the moderators):

(And I gamely began the upgrade to 1903 last night using Windows10Upgrade9252.exe, and after churning for about 1/2 hour it produced a 0xnnnnnnnn error code which was not listed in the official list of exception codes (no, I don't remember the specific code). Somewhere I read that my system would not be a likely candidate for the Microsoft priority push to 1903 'cause it is filled with non-msft applications. Yup, that would be me).

Reaction score
I finally did last week's WIndows updates and all seems stable now - I hope. All rather strange. I didn't change printer drivers or anything else.

Ask a Question