SOLVED Windows 10 - The system call to get the My Document folder failed

Reaction score
I have recently found a problem with a genealogy program (Legacy) which I have been using without issue for several years (through regular upgrades). When I try to open Legacy I get a message “The system call to get the ‘My Document folder failed. Sorry, Legacy cannot be run with this error.’”

I have not experienced this problem with my other programs.

Legacy provided links which were supposed to help me solve this problem but they didn’t work for me. However the links did indicate that this was a Windows problem, not a specific Legacy problem. They suggested that “the problem is with your Documents folder and how it is set up.”

I un-installed and then re-installed Legacy, but that didn’t help.

I also tried two other genealogy programs (alternatives to Legacy) but experienced similar difficulties. One said “Cannot create folder”. The other said “The location for the new project does not exist and cannot be created”.

A fourth genealogy program did work without a problem. A technical support person from Legacy suggested that the reason that the three programs didn’t work is because they all install a directory in your Documents folder while it seems that the fourth program does not.

This led me to think that the problem was not necessarily related to a specific program but was perhaps more generic.

Can anyone suggest a solution for me, please?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Reaction score
The default folder for storing documents in Win10 is C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\Documents but the program is calling for the My Documents folder. Maybe a setting in the program for default/Options/Preferences is available to change the choice. Or maybe create a My Documents folder in C:.

Reaction score
The default folder for storing documents in Win10 is C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\Documents but the program is calling for the My Documents folder. Maybe a setting in the program for default/Options/Preferences is available to change the choice. Or maybe create a My Documents folder in C:.
Thank you for the suggestions.

I can’t look for Options/Preferences in the Legacy program because it won’t open.

I tried creating a My Documents folder in C:\Users\Username\ but got a message ‘The destination already contains a folder named ‘My Documents’. Then it asks about merging files. I answered Yes to create the folder, but it doesn’t show in my File Explorer. If I answered No, same result.

I have my file/folder options set to Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and under the Navigation pane settings, Show all folders. But the My Documents folder remains elusive.

Any ideas?

Robert

Reaction score
In a Command Prompt windows I'd run sfc /scannow [note the space after sfc], perhaps there's some file corruption.

Reaction score
In a Command Prompt windows I'd run sfc /scannow [note the space after sfc], perhaps there's some file corruption.
Thanks. Tried that. Got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Is it likely that if I reinstall Windows that the problem will be fixed?

What about if I install Windows 11?

Reaction score
Thanks. Tried that. Got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Is it likely that if I reinstall Windows that the problem will be fixed?

What about if I install Windows 11?
It is possible that when all else fails a reinstall, usually clean, will clear up problems. Just be sure to save/copy/back up any data you want to save, that exists nowhere else.

As for Win11, older computers may not meet the requirements, out of 11 machines available I had none that would, all were too old, ended up with a new Notebook in Oct. and a new Desktop in April. There usually is a message in Settings, Update & Security or Windows Update about it.

Reaction score
Didn't get around to installing Windows 11 (or reinstalling Windows 10). Woke up this morning and everything is back to normal. All three of the programs which were playing up are now functioning perfectly. Don't know what caused the problem. Don't know how it fixed itself. Will keep my fingers crossed that it keeps on keeping on!

Thanks again for your help

Ask a Question