SOLVED Windows 10 won't allow renaming of files etc

Reaction score
I've never had the switch on for
"automatically select color accent from my background" nor the slide show but I am still experiencing this issue.

Reaction score
Windows 10 won't let me rename files, pics etc in the normal way. It allows me to try, then reverts to the previous name. It is not a problem of permissions, I have checked that.
It will allow me to rename on "Properties", but that is one file at a time. How am I to rename a group of pictures? This really seems like a glitch.
Anyone know a solution to this problem?

Instead of right-clicking the file name to Rename, right-click and select Properties instead. You will have all the time you need to name the file.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I solved the Windows 10 problem while keeping the slideshow change rate at 10 seconds.
You need to switch off "automatically select color accent from my background". After this, file renaming, scrolling etc didn't pose any problems anymore to me.

Select: Windows 10 button > Settings > Personal settings > Colors > switch called "automatically select color accent from my background".

Moreover, it's actually possible to set the slideshow change rate at 10 or 30 seconds in Windows 10. Run "control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper" at the windows button. You'll enter a section of control panel that is otherwise out of reach. Thank you Daniel Rubino at Windows Central for this.

As I said in another thread about this, thank you so much!!! This was the one that worked. I disabled the slide show, it kept happening, but this one was the answer. Futhermore, if you disable this, and then choose a color, it happens again but only that time, for example, you scroll down, choose the color red, check again and it´s up. Scroll down again and choose other color, the same. Scroll down, do nothing, stays where it should, so that proves me this was my problem in Windows 10, I don´t know in the other windows.

Reaction score
I have this same problem (which I noticed today) and you say there is a temporary fix for it. Being fairly new to all this can you tell me how exactly I can do this please. I don't have any pictures or slide show on here (I dont think).

Thanks so much all

Reaction score
If you are looking for the easy way to batch Rename Files folders by the thousands? "KrojamSoft: BatchRenameFiles Tool". is probably the easiest batch file renamer you'll find to instantly rename multiple files.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Im confused by this thread, what does the inability to rename files have to do with color settings?

But I see this thread is from 2016... with @Ronald23 recent reply.

I have a somewhat related and recurring issue (after Windows upgrades) of inability to rename folders this also breaks several aspects that are also related to files, my solution was to export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions from a working install and merge it on broken one.

Just using same installed version of Windows like Pro/Home/Enterprise and same bitness, 32/64bit

Reaction score
Maybe you are misunderstanding me. There is a glitch on my WINDOWS 10 download. I am not the only person with this glitch, but it is does not seem to be common.
1. When I open a folder and scroll down, within a few seconds the page jumps back up to the top. It is impossible to scroll down and keep it where I want it, in any folder.
See my post: https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...onds-it-jumps-back-to-the-top.1155/#post-5849
2. I cannot rename files or folders in the usual way, though I can change the name of an individual file or folder in the "Properties" box. Thus I cannot rename a group of pictures or other files as I have always been able to do before . (By gathering the files I want to rename together with the pointer, right clicking, then renaming one of the files renames them all. That's what I mean. This has nothing to do with me not knowing how to multi-rename files.)

PLEASE HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM WITH OPEN FOLDERS ON WINDOWS 10? I know there are at least 3 of us, and it is making Windows 10 unusable for us. If you are an expert, could you direct us where to go next to sort this problem?

Reaction score
In mistakenly renamed all folders
(By gathering the files I want to rename together with the pointer, right clicking, then renaming one of the files renames them all.)
Is there a way to undo this renaming?

Reaction score
My problem was I could not rename anything in File explorer. I fixed the problem by turning off "CLICKLOCK" in mouse options.

Ask a Question