SOLVED If I Open A Folder And Scroll Down - After 6 Seconds It Jumps Back To The Top

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what folder I open, if I scroll down the page to find what I want, then it JUMPS BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE FOLDER within 6 seconds, every time.
This glitch makes it impossible to leave a folder open scrolled down to where I want it.
Obviously not everyone has this problem. But I do! HELP!

Reaction score
Got that same problem! It's driving me crazy! I need some HELP TOO!!
Thanks Rob, we need to make noise until someone who knows what to do notices. Are you finding it impossible to rename folders and files too?
HELP!!

Reaction score
Yes I Am.... I can only rename if I type real quick. I found the only way to rename is to use 'Properties'.
This is a total joke.
More like a downgrade than a so called "Upgrade"
HELP!

Reaction score
Yes I Am.... I can only rename if I type real quick. I found the only way to rename is to use 'Properties'.
This is a total joke.
More like a downgrade than a so called "Upgrade"
HELP!
Thanks. Yes, exactly. Renaming in "Properties" works for a single file - but I can't find a way to rename multiple files, and that is something we need to be able to do. I can rename multiple files only by putting them all on a memory stick, and doing it on somebody else's computer!
I have Googled around to try to find out about the problem, without success. It must be rare if no-one else is talking about it.
URGENT - HELP!

Reaction score
I'm so glad I am not alone, this is my problem exactly. I have a folder with 600 images for a photo frame and I can't even get to the bottom of the list of photos, it keeps jumping back to the top of the page..

I'm also having trouble renaming folders, I have to be super quick or it goes back to the original name. All this is driving me mad. I am seriously considering going back to windows 8 but I don't know how.

Reaction score
Sorry, haven't got an answer to this. Spent most of Sunday going through all the options and settings.....nothing works and a batch of photos waiting to be sorted and renamed. (Or do I have to purchase a separate application to do this simple job)

The only way I can see getting this job done is to UPGRADE back to Windows 8.....or 7

This is a seriously basic flaw.
Somebody out there must know if there's an answer to this.

Again HELP!!!!

Reaction score
HELP! HELP! So there are at least 3 of us suffering this problem! I am really puzzled that when I Google the problem, this is the only relevant post that comes up. Has nobody else got this problem? What else can we do to get a response? Please keep posting on this thread Rob and Sheila, to keep this thread active. Maybe eventually someone may notice. HELP!

Reaction score
I have the same scrolling problem. if I had known such a basic procedure would be a problem I would have never upgraded. I would think their beta testers or someone would have picked up on this.

omega50

Reaction score
Thanks Omega....
I agree. Someone more in the know must have picked up on this by now.
Please somebody tell us how to make the file explorer function properly?

How can this auto refresh be disabled? That's what's causing the problem. Like an invisible finger pressing the f5 key every few seconds Don't want it. Don't need it.....

Hopefully as the roll-out continues, there will be more people finding this basic fault which makes the file explorer pretty much unusable.

And again why the hell did any of the beta testers pick this up?!!!

Reaction score
I think I found out what's causing this problem......It's the background slide show.

I just happened to notice when the picture changed, it refreshed and scrolled back up. Thinking It can't be that simple, I scrolled down several times and each time in time with the picture change.
Then I changed from slide show to picture in the personalise options.
And now everything stays put as normal. I can rename and scroll as normal now.

Still far from satisfactory though. Didn't have to disable the background slide show in Windows 8.

Hope this works for all on this thread and everybody else.
Let me know.

Reaction score
This problem is also happening to me. It happens to me in the file explorer but also when I am in the settings trying to scroll down, in the Window store, or when I try to scroll down on the tiles on Start.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Rob. I've stopped the background slide show and have just the one pic instead - and it all works!! But it is a great pity we can't have a background slide show. Just looking .... The slide show on Windows 10 has a minimum time of 1 minute, much different than Windows 8.1, where my picture changed every 6 seconds. But the scrolling still jumps up to the top of the page when the picture changes, as you discovered Rob. So I've reset to slideshow to change the picture once a day, and it works. Do we count this as solved? Because it obviously still isn't quite as it should be. But anyway, I am so relieved that you have found a workable solution, as I was dreading the complications of reverting to Windows 8.1. THANK YOU!!!

Reaction score
Your welcome!!
Well, It's sort of solved. As you say, it's a workable solution, but nothing's perfect. Windows 10 seems to be built on compromises anyway and I suppose it's better than taking a chance and going back to 8.1....
Going to miss the slide show. Hoping for some kind fix to come through on a windows update..........But I'm not gonna hold my breath..

Reaction score
This problem is also happening to me. It happens to me in the file explorer but also when I am in the settings trying to scroll down, in the Window store, or when I try to scroll down on the tiles on Start.
Does Rob's solution work for you too?

Reaction score
I have the same scrolling problem. if I had known such a basic procedure would be a problem I would have never upgraded. I would think their beta testers or someone would have picked up on this.

omega50
Does Rob's solution work for you too?

Reaction score
I'm so glad I am not alone, this is my problem exactly. I have a folder with 600 images for a photo frame and I can't even get to the bottom of the list of photos, it keeps jumping back to the top of the page..

I'm also having trouble renaming folders, I have to be super quick or it goes back to the original name. All this is driving me mad. I am seriously considering going back to windows 8 but I don't know how.
Does Rob's solution work for you too? Are we able to "Mark this Thread as Solved", or does anyone still have issues? THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO THIS THREAD and TO ROB FOR GIVING US A WORKABLE SOLUTION.

Reaction score
I think I found out what's causing this problem......It's the background slide show.

I just happened to notice when the picture changed, it refreshed and scrolled back up. Thinking It can't be that simple, I scrolled down several times and each time in time with the picture change.
Then I changed from slide show to picture in the personalise options.
And now everything stays put as normal. I can rename and scroll as normal now.

Still far from satisfactory though. Didn't have to disable the background slide show in Windows 8.

Hope this works for all on this thread and everybody else.
Let me know.

Thank you, thanks you, thank you......this solved my problem, after 6 hours of wasted time on it.

Reaction score
Thank you all of this thread! I have been having these same problems since the "upgrade" and could find no help at all. It's a ridiculous glitch and I am not at all crazy about Windows 10.

Reaction score
So glad I found this thread! I've been dealing with the same problem and this fix worked. Now we just need a fix from Microsoft which allows both a slideshow and viewing and renaming pictures without having to be a speed typist...

Ask a Question