SOLVED If I Open A Folder And Scroll Down - After 6 Seconds It Jumps Back To The Top

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what folder I open, if I scroll down the page to find what I want, then it JUMPS BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE FOLDER within 6 seconds, every time.
This glitch makes it impossible to leave a folder open scrolled down to where I want it.
Obviously not everyone has this problem. But I do! HELP!
Go to PERSONALIZATION in the CONTROL PANEL. Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Personalization. Look at the bottom of the resulting page, where it has the headings DESKTOP BACKGROUND, COLOR, SOUNDS, and SCREEN SAVER. Click on the COLOR box. As soon as that page opens, look at the bottom of the page where it says "Automatically pick an accent color from my background." DISABLE this feature (uncheck the box). Your problem is now solved.

Reaction score
I
I think I found out what's causing this problem......It's the background slide show.

I just happened to notice when the picture changed, it refreshed and scrolled back up. Thinking It can't be that simple, I scrolled down several times and each time in time with the picture change.
Then I changed from slide show to picture in the personalise options.
And now everything stays put as normal. I can rename and scroll as normal now.

Still far from satisfactory though. Didn't have to disable the background slide show in Windows 8.

Hope this works for all on this thread and everybody else.
Let me know.

This is great, I was ready to throw the computer out the window. Hate I can't have my slideshow!

Reaction score
Turning off background slideshow does not help. There must be something more that is causing the scrolling.

Reaction score
Turning off background slideshow does not help. There must be something more that is causing the scrolling.
This is what worked for me .... have you tried this yet? ......Go to SETTINGS. Click on PERSONALIZATION Click on the COLOR box. See below all the colours and click on "Automatically pick an accent color from my background." to remove the tick from the box. This should work.
I'm really surprised that Microsoft hasn't repaired this glitch with an update yet.
Please let us know if this works. (You can still have the slideshow if you want to.)

Reaction score
This is what worked for me .... have you tried this yet? ......Go to SETTINGS. Click on PERSONALIZATION Click on the COLOR box. See below all the colours and click on "Automatically pick an accent color from my background." to remove the tick from the box. This should work.
I'm really surprised that Microsoft hasn't repaired this glitch with an update yet.
Please let us know if this works. (You can still have the slideshow if you want to.)

THANK YOU!!!!! I just tried your suggestion and it worked perfectly. This "bouncing back to the top thing" has been driving me crazy for months. You are my new best friend.

Reaction score
I tried all suggestions. None, I repeat none worked for me. I have never had a slideshow nor colors checked on auto.
Never! This has been going on for months.

Reaction score
No it is not the background slide show. I don't have this activated but the same problem exists and Microsoft ties to say that it is only caused by the background slide show. It is annoying and needs further investigation from Microsoft.

Reaction score
None of the above have worked for me either. Having 2 sessions of File Explorer open trying to organize my files is absolutely exasperating! I miss my Windows 7.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what folder I open, if I scroll down the page to find what I want, then it JUMPS BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE FOLDER within 6 seconds, every time.
This glitch makes it impossible to leave a folder open scrolled down to where I want it.
Obviously not everyone has this problem. But I do! HELP!
I encountered this problem almost a year ago. I too tried everything and nothing resolved the problem. My last chance was to reformat the hard drive completely and start with clean install. It fixed the problem. Additionally, make sure you're up to day with the updates. In case if it's a software glitch then it should fix it. But if you were to ask my personal opinion I'd say it was some sort of malware or virus. If you have the norton installed you may wish to run a complete virus scan to see if anything pops up. If you don't have virus protection software, then try windows defender. Whatever it is it seems like something keep refreshing the open programs in the background.

Logically, this kind of craziness couldn't be part of the windows operation. Has to rather be an interference with the normal operating system. So therefore it cannot be part of the windows Norman operation. Look for virus/malware! There's your solution. Microsoft doesn't have solutions for it. If your system is up to day to updates and still keep doing that then reformatting the hard drive is a good choice. If you have a virus or malware then it's a good decision to get rid of the virus. Formatting and installing a clean windows a guarantee to eliminate the problem.

Reaction score
I reformatted my hard drive too but am still having the same problem. I think there's too many of us experiencing this for it to be a virus or malware issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep I would agree.
IF the problem persists past the generic issue with background slide show / auto pick a color, then it is more likely something causing an issue with a system file like explorer.exe.
Have you tested in "Safe Mode" to see if the problem persists..... then further tested in "Safe Mode with Networking", then further tested with a Clean Boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
It might be a driver (safe mode will load some generic drivers)

Reaction score
I reformatted my hard drive too but am still having the same problem. I think there's too many of us experiencing this for it to be a virus or malware issue.

Humm, this is rather disturbing news. That leads me believe that my problem was fixed by either sheer luck or something else that didn't occur to me. Assuming your system is up to date, the question is how did you reinstall the windows, clean installation or upgrade from a previous version? Although this may mean nothing, it was my case for reformatted it and reinstated as a clean installation rather than an upgrade over the older version. In case if your machine requires an upgrade rather than a clean install due to drivers integrated into the installation/restoration disc, there is however a way around that. You could still install a clean version, then download the drivers for each component individually from their respective websites or the manufacturer's website and install them independently. Of course this theory may not be your case at all, however it's good to throw out there in case it happens to be someone else's situation. I wish I could pin point the resolution of my success, but reformatting and reinstalling a clean copy of windows 10 fixed the problem. Of course I did download drivers for my Fujitsu T935 individually, but still I ended up not using the drivers are suggested by Fujitsu, but rather after the reinstallation of the windows, I only did an update, and windows update found all thrives and installed them in a respective orders. Not a single problem again. So in other words, even after instilling the Fujitsu drivers from Fujitsu website, I still had problems, different problems, not the retracting folder view, but some of the components wouldn't work the way expected. So I disregarded the Fujitsu drivers and only updated the windows through windows update. Then when I opened device manager to see if any of the drivers are still missing, there was only one driver with questions mark, then I click on the update the driver for that particular component using online update. It didn't find the update online. So I put in the drivers disc that I've downloaded from Fujitsu website particularly for that machine, and directed the update source to the disc and installed only that single driver from the disc. Then everything operates like a Swiss clock.

Another thing I would suggest is the installation of the drivers to be installed individually from device manager individually than all together using the manufacturer's installation process. There are possibilities (at least in my case) when one driver is installed and requires a restart, then another driver starts installing by the installer application, then this could also create a conflicting problem. It's better to install each driver individually then restart for each driver if it's prompted to do so. The systematic procedures I would suggest as follows: 1) formatting the hard drive (during the installation process, select each drive assigned by letters and delete them all, until you have only one drive left, then format that drive. If you choose only C: driver and format only that drive, then the system folders are still intact so upon restoration of OS most likely the problem will still be there, if the problem happens to be associated with a system file), 2) install a clean copy of windows, 3) without first trying to install the device drivers try to update the windows first. If you cannot connect to an internet, then open the device manager and click on the wifi/internet/network controller device and select update the driver using the drivers' disc or whatever source you have. After a successful update of the Ethernet/network controller, try to connect to the internet then go to windows updates to update the windows first before you install any other drivers) 4) after windows update check the device manager to see if any drivers have question mark on it. If does then click on the drive and select update the driver then navigate to the source from which to install the driver DVD or flash drive. After updating those drivers successfully then check the device manager again to see if everything looking good. If does look good, then launch windows update again to bring all those individually installed drivers up to date. 5) install any component's programs using the disc came with the machine. Those programs usually are DVD burner, mouse properties, display properties, and other components properties. These programs/property tools are different from the components drivers. While a component's driver is designed to be recognized by the machine, the component property tools or programs are designed to operate that component. They all might or might not be on the same restoration disc. If you have an integrated restoration disc you might not be able to install individual driver/program from restoration disc, but you can download individually from the manufacturer's website. I hope this will be helpful, if not specifically for you it might help someone else. Good luck.

Reaction score
To stop it, go to settings/Personalization/Background and click on Slideshow and you get some options. Color or Picture. Pick picture and choose one of the five selections or Browse for others.

One option you have in Slideshow which is not real obvious is to Right Click the desktop when in Slideshow and pick "Next Desktop Background" which will instantly show the next picture in the show. That way you can manually change the pictures even if it is set to change daily.

Ok, just where is "Settings"?

Reaction score
I get so frustrated when trying to organize my files. What a pain to have to continuously scroll back to where I was. Apparently Microsoft doesn't consider this to be important enough to fix. I liked Windows 7 much better. I hate the black background in the Photo Viewer. I'm a graphic designer & most of my templates are black so if I wish to view them I have to open them in Photoshop. Come on, Microsoft! Get your **** together!

Reaction score
Ok, just where is "Settings"?

I found it. I'm in the habit of right-clicking the "start" button (far left icon on the bar that looks like window panes, doesn't say "start") because I don't like the left-click version of the menu. The settings icon does not appear in the right-click version of the menu, you have to left-click "start" and it's the second icon up from the bottom on the left, it looks like a gear.

I checked the "slideshow", it was off. I never had it on because I don't want a "slideshow" of any sort, I have work to do, but yet I was having the same problem with trying to rename files the way I and many others have been doing since the birth of PCs. So I turned the "slideshow" on, then off, and rebooted. That seemed to work. I HATE WINDOWS 10! Buggy PITA POC! My new computer came with it, so I'm stuck with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get so frustrated when trying to organize my files. What a pain to have to continuously scroll back to where I was. Apparently Microsoft doesn't consider this to be important enough to fix. I liked Windows 7 much better. I hate the black background in the Photo Viewer. I'm a graphic designer & most of my templates are black so if I wish to view them I have to open them in Photoshop. Come on, Microsoft! Get your **** together!

I'm totally with you on that. I hate W10 and miss W7.

Reaction score
I think I found out what's causing this problem......It's the background slide show.

I just happened to notice when the picture changed, it refreshed and scrolled back up. Thinking It can't be that simple, I scrolled down several times and each time in time with the picture change.
Then I changed from slide show to picture in the personalise options.
And now everything stays put as normal. I can rename and scroll as normal now.

Still far from satisfactory though. Didn't have to disable the background slide show in Windows 8.

Hope this works for all on this thread and everybody else.
Let me know.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! DeAnn

Reaction score
What version and build are you all running?

I had a similar problem with one of my test builds but I can't remember which one at the moment.

However, I can tell you I do not have that problem with the latest W10 public release: v1703 build 15063.322

Update: I must be blind as I did not see the fix

Ask a Question