SOLVED If I Open A Folder And Scroll Down - After 6 Seconds It Jumps Back To The Top

Reaction score
Stopping the slide show didn't work for me but switching off Automatically Pick an Accent Colour from my Background in "Personalise", "colours" did work.

Reaction score
I have the same problem too. Both the scrolling and renaming. However I don't think it is a solution to stop background slide show just to get this to work because windows 10 was supposed to be an upgrade, if we can't even do the things we could do in windows 8 or 8.1 then there is no point. Stopping the slide show might be a temporary solution but I really hope they can fix this problem.

Reaction score
Hi guys

I also learned that you can keep you slides running by navigating to Start/Settings/Personalization/Colors and then turn off the Automatically pick an accent color from my background. That causes the OS to pick up a new color on your slides and it refreshes every time the slide changes.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what folder I open, if I scroll down the page to find what I want, then it JUMPS BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE FOLDER within 6 seconds, every time.
This glitch makes it impossible to leave a folder open scrolled down to where I want it.
Obviously not everyone has this problem. But I do! HELP!
I have the same problem, is there any fix?

Reaction score
I have the same problem and the solutions I've read do not appear to be a satisfactory way of solving the problem.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Rob. I've stopped the background slide show and have just the one pic instead - and it all works!! But it is a great pity we can't have a background slide show. Just looking .... The slide show on Windows 10 has a minimum time of 1 minute, much different than Windows 8.1, where my picture changed every 6 seconds. But the scrolling still jumps up to the top of the page when the picture changes, as you discovered Rob. So I've reset to slideshow to change the picture once a day, and it works. Do we count this as solved? Because it obviously still isn't quite as it should be. But anyway, I am so relieved that you have found a workable solution, as I was dreading the complications of reverting to Windows 8.1. THANK YOU!!!

And how does one stop the background slide show? Would be great if people would post step by step solutions rather than just talking about stuff.

Reaction score
And how does one stop the background slide show? Would be great if people would post step by step solutions rather than just talking about stuff.
To stop it, go to settings/Personalization/Background and click on Slideshow and you get some options. Color or Picture. Pick picture and choose one of the five selections or Browse for others.

One option you have in Slideshow which is not real obvious is to Right Click the desktop when in Slideshow and pick "Next Desktop Background" which will instantly show the next picture in the show. That way you can manually change the pictures even if it is set to change daily.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you, thanks you, thank you......this solved my problem, after 6 hours of wasted time on it.
Thanks for posting the clear and concise "work around". I have been having the problem with scroll jumping back to top for weeks but just now noticed the file rename problem so I searched Google and found the other thread that suggested use this thread. Changing to Picture solves the problems but it "turns off a feature" that is nice. MS will fix this problem some day but I will never know when it happens. Again thank you for posting the "fix/workaround" for two very irritating issues.

Reaction score
This problem is not universal. It is only happening on a few computers. Hopefully it will be resolved for you over time. In the meantime, keep posting here and perhaps someone will offer a real solution.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Changing to Picture solves the problems but it "turns off a feature" that is nice.
Hello Jerry and welcome to the forum.
I assume the "feature that is nice" comment refers to the Background Slide Show.
The problem, actually is not so much related to that as it is the Choose a color from my background setting, which of course changes each time the slide show changes the back ground.
You can keep the back ground slide show by simply following Jabulane's post above
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...-jumps-back-to-the-top.1155/page-2#post-16871

Reaction score
Hi guys

I also learned that you can keep you slides running by navigating to Start/Settings/Personalization/Colors and then turn off the Automatically pick an accent color from my background. That causes the OS to pick up a new color on your slides and it refreshes every time the slide changes.
Thank you. Love it. Windows 10 is one awesome Operating System. It is a quantum leap in helpful, productivity and simply handy features that we wished for. One of many I have run across is cleaning up IE Favorites. Today we load new software and start using without spending hours reading and studying the documentation as we had to do not many years ago.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what folder I open, if I scroll down the page to find what I want, then it JUMPS BACK UP TO THE TOP OF THE FOLDER within 6 seconds, every time.
This glitch makes it impossible to leave a folder open scrolled down to where I want it.
Yes, mine does the same thing! This is the 2nd. time I have DL'd Win 10 from 8.1. First time a few months ago because the same prob was there. I waited & DL'd it yesterday..SAME prob in pics & favs list. Scroll down & before you can do Anything, it jumps back to the top.......IMPOSSIBLE! I may go back to Win 8.1 for the 2nd. time because of this. This is total insanity.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Rob. I've stopped the background slide show and have just the one pic instead - and it all works!! But it is a great pity we can't have a background slide show. Just looking .... The slide show on Windows 10 has a minimum time of 1 minute, much different than Windows 8.1, where my picture changed every 6 seconds. But the scrolling still jumps up to the top of the page when the picture changes, as you discovered Rob. So I've reset to slideshow to change the picture once a day, and it works. Do we count this as solved? Because it obviously still isn't quite as it should be. But anyway, I am so relieved that you have found a workable solution, as I was dreading the complications of reverting to Windows 8.1. THANK YOU!!!
The slide show on Windows 10 has a minimum time of 1 minute however, if you press the windows key and the R key and type the following command: control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper you will get more options. Kevin Kelly.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem and changing the background settings does not help. Is there another solution?

Reaction score
Thank you so much Rob. It was driving me crazy too. I do appreciate it :) Who would have though that disabling your slide show would fix the problem! I really dislike Windows...

Reaction score

I had exact the same problem, I was trying to separate some of the photos and as I was scrolling down to select the photos of my choice, the system somehow would refresh the page or kick back to the beginning of the photos. I tried all sorts of tweaks but no success. I knew I had some sort of adware in my system that Norton security couldn't detect nor prevent and this adware was working on the background and causing problems.

eventually my only alternative was to format the hard drive and that fixed the roblem by getting rid of the adware. those andivirus and internet security prgrams such as Norton and others are lame programs when it comes to rotect the PC. it only detects the known viruses and malwares, but not the new ones.

thought to share with you guys to check your system for adwares. those adwares installed as a plugin or addons in the browser, you might be able to uninstall them from the browser or somehow disable them, but they remain active in the system. they function in the similar fashion as hopping kangaroo.

Ask a Question