SOLVED If I Open A Folder And Scroll Down - After 6 Seconds It Jumps Back To The Top

Reaction score
I've been struggling with this problem for weeks. The solution presented here doesn't help me - I've never used a slideshow for my desktop background. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem since last year as Frank Does anyone know of a solution other than the turning off the background slide show? Did I miss another solution? Thanks for your assistance.

Reaction score
Just like Frank I have this problem, every time I scroll down it scrolls straight back up again. Only started recently presumably since one of the Win 10 updates. I have tried all the fixes listed here and many other things. I have switched off background slideshow and the auto accent colour. I also have the error that will not let me edit file names (unless I do it in properties) and I have taken off the read only flag. This is getting very frustrating.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issues and wanted to pull out my hair while trying to go through family photos for an album. I do not have the slide show playing either. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issues and wanted to pull out my hair while trying to go through family photos for an album. I do not have the slide show playing either. Any suggestions?
It's not the slide show after all, it's the colour change.
Go to SETTINGS. Go to PERSONALISATION Click on COLOURS then switch to OFF "Automatically pick an accent color from my background"
That seems to do it. You can still then have a background slide show if you'd like to.
Please say if this works for you.

Reaction score
That "fix" didn't work for me. I have tried using the "personalize" setting to assign a single picture; I have tried setting the desktop background via "Themes" and assigning a single photo; I have tried right-clicking on a photo in a folder and assigning it to be my desktop wallpaper... none of these "fixes" eliminates the problem. All I have found is to use a third-party explorer substitution, which is not a solution... I'm using xplorer2, which you can find here: http://download.cnet.com/Xplorer2-Lite/3000-2248_4-10407731.html. I'd much rather have Windows work properly however!

Reaction score
I've been struggling with this problem for weeks. The solution presented here doesn't help me - I've never used a slideshow for my desktop background. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank

I had the same problem but after reading these posts I stopped my screen saver and slide show and the problem was fixed instantly. A told this to a friend of mine and hers is fixed too. If that didn't solve your problem, then I would try reinstalling the operating system. It usually solves the problem. If you are using windows 10, you just have to "Recovery" and follow the prompts. Doing that also gets rid of any viruses which sometimes causes problems in windows, stopping programs from working properly. Good luck.

Reaction score
I have been having the same problem since last year as Frank Does anyone know of a solution other than the turning off the background slide show? Did I miss another solution? Thanks for your assistance.

I had the same problem but after reading these posts I stopped my screen saver and slide show and the problem was fixed instantly. A told this to a friend of mine and hers is fixed too. If that didn't solve your problem, then I would try reinstalling the operating system. It usually solves the problem. If you are using windows 10, you just have to "Recovery" and follow the prompts. Doing that also gets rid of any viruses which sometimes causes problems in windows, stopping programs from working properly. Good luck.

Reaction score

Reaction score
I'm still having the same problem & I've never used the slideshow. I received an email notification that this issue had been solved. Well, not for me. It's still driving me crazy.

Reaction score
I'm still having the same problem & I've never used the slideshow. I received an email notification that this issue had been solved. Well, not for me. It's still driving me crazy.
Brenda, though stopping the slideshow does seem to cure the issue, the source of the trouble is something else. Have you read my post just 6 posts above here. IF NOT, TRY IT! ............ "It's not the slide show after all, it's the colour change.....
Go to SETTINGS. Go to PERSONALISATION Click on COLOURS then switch to OFF "Automatically pick an accent color from my background"
That seems to do it. You can still then have a background slide show if you'd like to.
Please say if this works for you."
It works for me and others and I can still have a slideshow.
Let me know if this helps. Good Luck.

ps this solution was revealed on another thread https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-10-wont-allow-renaming-of-files-etc.1151/

Reaction score
I just can't thank you enough. My problem is solved, I can now scroll through my files to my heart's content without the page resetting. Thankyou!!

That s one problem solved, now to try to find out how to stop my start bar crashing and Windows 10 will actually be an upgrade!

Reaction score
Thank you so much...this fixed my problem perfectly. I can't thank you enough!

Reaction score
Thank you Megan! It is working now and that is such a relief! Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
Your welcome!!
Well, It's sort of solved. As you say, it's a workable solution, but nothing's perfect. Windows 10 seems to be built on compromises anyway and I suppose it's better than taking a chance and going back to 8.1....
Going to miss the slide show. Hoping for some kind fix to come through on a windows update..........But I'm not gonna hold my breath..
Rob, thanks for the input. The rolling pictures drove me absolutely crazy but your fix solved the issue. Again , many thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, exactly. Renaming in "Properties" works for a single file - but I can't find a way to rename multiple files, and that is something we need to be able to do. I can rename multiple files only by putting them all on a memory stick, and doing it on somebody else's computer!
I have Googled around to try to find out about the problem, without success. It must be rare if no-one else is talking about it.
URGENT - HELP!

In File Explorer select all the files you want to rename, right click on one of them & rename it. All the files you selected will have the same name with a number at the end of them in parenthesis. I have Photoshop Elements 9 & you can also rename multiple files simultaneously there by selecting File/Process Multiple files

Reaction score
I'm so glad I am not alone, this is my problem exactly. I have a folder with 600 images for a photo frame and I can't even get to the bottom of the list of photos, it keeps jumping back to the top of the page..

I'm also having trouble renaming folders, I have to be super quick or it goes back to the original name. All this is driving me mad. I am seriously considering going back to windows 8 but I don't know how.
I have had the same annoying problem.Try this. In Settings/Personalization/Colors. try un checking-" Automatically pick an accent color from my background." Select a single color only. No problems with renaming folders, or File Explorer jumping back to the beginning. Worked for me!

Reaction score
I have had the same annoying problem.Try this. In Settings/Personalization/Colors. try un checking-" Automatically pick an accent color from my background." Select a single color only. No problems with renaming folders, or File Explorer jumping back to the beginning. Worked for me!

I don't have that checked nor am I using the slideshow but mine is still jumping. I really don't think they care about our frustration or inconvenience. They're too busy with Cortana.

Reaction score

Thank you so much!!! This was the one that worked. I disabled the slide show, it kept happening, but this one was the answer. Futhermore, if you disable this, and then choose a color, it happens again but only that time, for example, you scroll down, choose the color red, check again and it´s up. Scroll down again and other color, the same. Scroll down, do nothing, stays where it should, so that proves me this was my problem in Windows 10, I don´t know in the other windows.

Ask a Question