7-zip doesn't open the archive folder.

Reaction score
I zipped the "My Documents" folder in WindowsXP ( SP 3 ) using the default application (Send To- Zipped folder) and now it won't unzip.

When using the MS app it comes up " The Compressed folder is invalid or corrupted"

I tired WinZip " Cannot open file; it does not appear to be a valid archive"

Tired 7-zip " Cannot open file.... as archive".

Tried doing a virus scan on it but came back clean.

Any suggestions from here?

Reaction score
Typically that means the file is corrupt. If it's truly corrupted you won't be able to use any unzip application. But like others say you may be able to repair it.

Reaction score
If your ZIP file is corrupted then try to repair the corrupted ZIP archive using WinRAR utility. It supports a built-in repair feature that can repair corrupted RAR as well as the ZIP archive. You need to follow the steps given below:
  • Open WinRAR tool, click on File tab > Open. Or press Ctrl + O.
  • In the "Find Archive" window, locate the corrupted ZIP file and select it.
  • Now click on Tools tab > Repair archive. Or press Alt + R.
  • In the "Repairing File name.ZIP" window, click on Browse button to select a location for newly repaired ZIP archive.
  • Check the "Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP" box and click on OK to start the repairing process.
  • Within a few seconds, the ZIP archive will be repaired. Click on Close.

Now check the newly repaired ZIP archive at the defined location.

Or you can also try a third-party ZIP recovery tool such as SysInfo ZIP Repair Tool to recover data from corrupted ZIP archive if the manual tricks fail. Try its free demo version first.

Ask a Question