7-Zip has messed up my file associations????

Reaction score
I installed 7-Zip as recommended to me to help get rolling on setting up a Raspberry Pi project. It works really well. Maybe too well! I have since downloaded a few *.exe files that I'd like to run, but the .exe is somehow now associated with 7-Zip! I can't execute the files, instead the computer keeps attempting to unpack them. I've tried changing the file association in the Default Apps setting. I've uninstalled and DEEP uninstalled 7-zip even! But the .exe files still display a 7-Zip icon and still try to unpack with 7-Zip!

I'm afraid I'm away from the computer that is having the issues (my personal laptop). It's a Dell laptop, obviously running Windows 10.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide! I'll be able to provide specific information about the laptop later, when I get home from work.

Reaction score
Reaction score
You may want to try downloading the .exe file registry entry from Brink's tutorial & then click on it to integrate it into your registry which should correct the problem.

Reaction score
You may want to try downloading the .exe file registry entry from Brink's tutorial & then click on it to integrate it into your registry which should correct the problem.
I downloaded one from another website and merged it, but it didn't have any effect. I'll try it all step by step again though, from the Brink's tutorial using the .exe file registry linked there. Please wish me luck!

I bought a download of an old PC game I loved as a kid (Interstate '76) and I really want to play it! But I can't install it because it wont execute the file. :(

Reaction score
Yes good luck. Remember to restart your pc after intergrating the .exe registry fix.
I've had nothing but excellent help & advice from Brink & he's very quick to reply when another user asks him for a registry fix.

Reaction score
Bastet A link to the other forum would have sufficed. A good word for the staff on this forum would be nice, they bend over backwards to help all members.

Reaction score
Sorry Norton but I always give credit to the original author of the information I'm quoting, if I'm helping a user on another forum & the information is from this forum then I'll credit this forum & the member, if I'm helping here & the information is from another forum then I'll do the same in giving credit to the user of that forum.
Is there be a problem with that? If there is please let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well. :( None of that worked. I'm calling on the nuclear option and resetting the computer. :( Ughhhhhhh

Ask a Question