Zip Drive?

Reaction score
BLAST FROM THE PAST!

I need to get some files stored on old Zip disks, and I still have an Internal Zip 100 drive, but there's no drive slot space nor IDE controller for it on my computer. So I bought a Kingwin EZ-Connect IDE/SATA to USB adaptor device. When I hook up my IDE Zip 100 drive to it, and connect the USB cable to my computer, I hear the Windows sound for USB device connect, but the drive does not show up in the File Explorer. I did test the same device with IDE and SATA hard drives, and they show up just fine in Windows 10. So shouldn't my Zip drive show up as well? What's going on?

Reaction score
disk manager.JPG
Hi elsongs,

plug the drive in your PC and then look in Computer Manager > Disk Management, you may need to load the drive partition (set it up first). :):):) DO NOT SELECT FORMAT THIS DRIVE. YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON IT!. ;););)

Reaction score
View attachment 9242 Hi elsongs,

plug the drive in your PC and then look in Computer Manager > Disk Management, you may need to load the drive partition (set it up first). :):):) DO NOT SELECT FORMAT THIS DRIVE. YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING ON IT!. ;););)

I've already tried that, it does not appear in Disk Management. When I connected the IDE hard drives into the same adaptor, they did appear. The Zip drive turns on and scans the disk on power-up, so it's unlikely it's defective.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does the adapter that you purchased come with a power supply connector.
It's possible that the Zip Drive may require external power.

Reaction score
Does the adapter that you purchased come with a power supply connector.
It's possible that the Zip Drive may require external power.

It has a power supply. It is connected. The Zip drive light is lit up and it scans the disk and make the high pitched sound.

Reaction score
I still have a WinXP with an Internal 250MB Zip drive [along with 5.25" & 3.5" floppy drives] but also have an External Iomega USB 250MB Zip drive for portablility [USB cable only]. I started with the Zip drive for parallel ports in the mid-'90s, not much use now with the parallel port seldom included on late model computers. I do find with both types the necessity of ejecting the disk before disconnecting the drive. The extra internal Zip drives I have salvaged and keep on the shelf are all 40-pin PATA with a jumper for Master or Slave.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
with a jumper for Master or Slave
That might be something worth experimenting with.
Remove it completely or switch between master and slave and see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
That might be something worth experimenting with.
Remove it completely or switch between master and slave and see if that makes any difference.

Yup, tried Master, Slave and Cable Select. Neither would be recognized.

Reaction score
Try taking out the Master/Slave jumper on the drive and connecting it to the PC via the adapter cable?. ;)

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken my old Iomega zip drive that I haven't used in years needed seperate drivers for Windows to see and use it. I could be wrong. But I do seem to remember the light on the drive coming on but Windows XP would not see the drive until drivers were installed. I do know that a lot of those IDE to SATA adapters also need a driver from the manufacturer's website. I used to help a friend with his all the time and it was always such a hassle trying to find the right driver. The Chinese website was horrible.

Reaction score
My parallel-port 100MB model did come with an install floppy but then that was back with MS-DOS 5 and Win3.1 running on top of it. I now have a 250MB model in a WinXP computer.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken my old Iomega zip drive that I haven't used in years needed seperate drivers for Windows to see and use it. I could be wrong. But I do seem to remember the light on the drive coming on but Windows XP would not see the drive until drivers were installed. I do know that a lot of those IDE to SATA adapters also need a driver from the manufacturer's website. I used to help a friend with his all the time and it was always such a hassle trying to find the right driver. The Chinese website was horrible.

I did hook up an old IDE 20GB HD to the same adaptor and it recognized the drive without needing drivers.

I found a site with 64bit Iomega drivers, but the filename referenced AMD processors, whereas I use an Intel i7. Would that make a difference?

Reaction score
It should ma
I did hook up an old IDE 20GB HD to the same adaptor and it recognized the drive without needing drivers.

I found a site with 64bit Iomega drivers, but the filename referenced AMD processors, whereas I use an Intel i7. Would that make a difference?
It shouldn't make a difference, a lot of things reference AMD processors with the 64-bit versions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Often you will see the AMD designation to differentiate normal 64 bit drivers from IA based processors (Itanium).

Reaction score
Yep, IA is an Intel version of 64-bit [before AMD version] and as far as I can remember best used with powerful Servers and multiple CPUs [like their Zeon] on the motherboard.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Figured you were spelling it phonetically, however.....
I think most if not all Xeon processors were RISC based processors (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) using x86 instruction set.
Itanium processors were developed using EPIC based processors (Explicitly Parallel Instruction Computing) using "Itanium" instruction set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

Ask a Question