SOLVED Windows Security update fail

Reaction score
EXactly what is the search term and in what application ( part of Windows.) Windows error codes are usually formatted like this 0x80010005.

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

try opening Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Check for updates and see if that helps. :)

1613062064069.png

Reaction score
In Windows Security , Virus and Threat protection, "checking for updates". It scrolls and errors out (over 45 minutes now). Windows Update errors out with a 0x80070426; Troubleshooter errors out with the same code. Can't download Avast or any other virus scan that I've tried on Edge. Was able to download AVG in Chrome, but setup just scrolls and hasn't completed (20 minutes). Yesterday I did an update to Microsoft Edge. I'm waiting for the security update to time out so I can confirm the error code(never timed out, closed with no error code). I tried to dismiss the security update and it doesn't respond. Trying to update version 1.331.40.0 created 02/02 last update 02/02.

Reaction score
Was able to download and install AVG. Scanned and nothing was found. Now Windows Security says "no actions needed". Thanks for your responses.

Reaction score
Now I can’t turn Windows antivirus on because AVG is turned on and the menu doesn’t give the option to turn it off. AVG will not uninstall either. My laptop is barely running.

Reaction score
Windows defender real time protection cannot run with AVG or any 3rd party anti virus installed. How are you trying to uninstall AVG? In settings/apps? If so what is it doing? AVG does have a removal tool.

Reaction score
Try uninstalling from Settings/Apps. If that doesn't work then try AVG's removal tool. AVG is very fickle to get rid of.

Reaction score
I got AVG uninstalled from Settings/Apps. Thank you very much for everyone's help. You saved what little sanity I have left! Laptop is working normally.

Ask a Question