2 Displays with different settings help

Reaction score
I have a laptop and external 27" monitor. I only use one display at a time. I use the built-in display only when away from my office & large display at my desk.

My question is,
is there a way to have a larger scaling on laptop display when away (resolution is 2560 x 1440) and different scaling on large monitor when it's plugged in?

Currently when unplugged from the external monitor the fonts are too small to comfortably use.

thanks

Reaction score
Not sure I understand your question. Do you want to have the built-in display use 2 different resolutions depending on whether it is plugged in or not? If so, you can't really set that to happen automatically.

If you just want the built in display to have one resolution and the 27" one a different resolution, it should be automatically detecting the recommended resolution on each of them. In case it's not, turn on your external display so both are running. Use Win + P and select extend. Then right click on your desktop and go to Display Settings. You should see both screens in the configuration panel. At the bottom there is a link for 'Advanced Display Settings'. Click on it. Choose a monitor and change it's display resolution. Then click on the other monitor to set it's resolution

Reaction score
OGG, thanks for responding!

I don't think I need two resolutions per screen, both are at 2560 x 1440. My question is regarding scaling per monitor (only one monitor is used at once).

I need 2 settings depending on which monitor is being used at the time.

I have the big monitor at a custom scaling to best display my programs when at my desk.

What I think I need, is to scale my laptop built-in screen when away to a larger scale so text and icons are larger when unplugged from big monitor. currently they are very very small on laptop screen.

It would be great if it was automatic but if not, I would be fine with selecting a preset or something ....1 for external monitor.......and one for built-in monitor.

hope that makes sense.(?)

thanks!

Reaction score
I know that I can access my ATI graphics card software and do this within the display settings. Depending on what your graphics card or chip is you might also be able to do it through those settings.

Reaction score
thanks ram1220, unfortunately I have an on-board graphics card intel I think. ultra thin laptop.

Reaction score
OGG, thanks for responding!

I don't think I need two resolutions per screen, both are at 2560 x 1440. My question is regarding scaling per monitor (only one monitor is used at once).

Yep, then use the other instructions I gave you to change the resolutions in the Settings.

Reaction score
yeah, that doesn't work / not what I need.

Anyone else know if this is possible? I'm thinking it's not in Windows 10 at this point.

again, need laptop screen to have bigger text and icons when unplugged from external monitor than the scale that is on external monitor.

i.e. 2 different settings for 2 different monitors - when used separately - scaling not resolution.

their resolutions are the same.

Goal is to use laptop away from external monitor, with a larger interface than external monitor.

thanks.

Ask a Question