2021-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4598229) - Error 0x800f0988

Reaction score
I'm having serious problems with this update. I've tried a bunch of stuff online (don't remember everything). I tried disabling Bitdefender, the VPN, Downloading it manually, bunch of other things. I got to the point where it downloads 100% but still fails to install.
In update history I noticed: 0x800f0986 for update KB4592449 failed to install.
Other updates install fine.
I believe this problem started due to a lack of disk space initially. I cleared out 10GB of room but it still does not work. There was 0 when it happened.

Although I have backups they never install properly in the past. I do not want to reset the computer. All other suggestions welcome. If it requires a reset I will just finally switch to Linux.

Ive run the trouble shooter and it detects a problem but no solution. Here is the raw info.
Detection details
Expand

Informational

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
IsPostback: False

Informational

WaaSMedicService
Issue found by :DiskCleanupPlugin;AppCleanerPlugin;EnableUUPScanPlugin

Informational

IsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
IsPostback: True

Informational

Service Status
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Informational

Service Status
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.
System info
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire R5-471T
System Type x64-based PC

Thank you.

Reaction score
I'd try freeing up a bit more space. Even if it doesn't help this issue, 10gb isn't near enough space to upgrade to latest version (32gb is recommended), which you'll need to do in a few months. Support ends for 1909 in May I believe.

Reaction score
Something not clarified in your first post. What is the size of your HD, and how much is already occupied with the OS and your programs.?- 14,560.342 KB
For example, this is the size (image) of my basic Windows 10 Pro installation 14,560.342KB. After installing my software (No third party space hogging games) 19,357.973KB
Also. Quote "Although I have backups they never install properly in the past" Presumably this is from the Windoes backups? Try iamging with Macrium free. I have used it for years and have never had a single failure. With my constant and uneccesary experimets, I am often using the image.

IMHO. I don't think any of the issues found in your scan are related to the update problem. They are feedback because it cannot update!

Last edited:

Ask a Question