Windows 10 UI refresh in 2021

Reaction score
yeah, I read about it. Possibly another disaster like the introducing of the METRO tiles. Why do they always have to change the appearance of the system??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK.... I just assume that they get bored or they assume the we get bored.
OR
To keep various third party software producers busy, creating software so users can reclaim older experiences.

Reaction score
Windows Central cites sources in a report saying that Windows 10 will see a huge update in 2021 bringing a refreshed UI that is 'modern and consistent'. One of the key changes also includes bringing Android apps to the Microsoft Store on Windows 10.

Reaction score
As a user with a conventional set up and PC, don't use Cortana or Skype or any other of these connecting with other apps, don't even have a microphone or camera, I don't care if the UI changes. It works ok for me now. Don't care about Android apps.

This will all appear in Windows Insider later this year I guess.

Reaction score
Now what they need to do instead is to restore the ability to run your own custom shell (do you remember things like Norton Desktop for Windows?). MSWin10 would be way more useful if I could use a port of Cinnamon Desktop as the shell/desktop.

Reaction score
I already run Linux as my primary OS. I just have a MSWin10 setup for those occasions where I specifically need a bare-metal MSWin environment (for when Wine or a VM won't do what I need)

But given that, MSWin would be far more flexible and far less ugly if you could run an alternative shell.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some more current interest in "Sun Valley"
Microsoft is planning a “sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows” that is designed to signal to users of the operating system that “Windows is BACK.”
Microsoft planning ‘sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows’ - The Verge

Not sure what exactly might constitute "sweeping"
Recently, in general, everyone seems to have a tendency towards Over Promise, Under Deliver
After a jump in Windows usage due to the pandemic, it feels like Microsoft might be more ready than ever to give its operating system the UI polish it has been promising for years.
"polish" seems less-lofty and probably what is more likely.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Trouble "Windows is back" but in what form?. I actually liked the XP and Vista UI, something like that would suit me well!. :)
Who knows??
But, I doubt it will be anything retro, although something like that as a potential "option" might be well received.
I don't see them abandoning their Cloud first, mobile first, WaaS strategy, so I don't expect anything to resource heavy.
That might prove less than optimal across hardware platforms.

I'm old enough to remember how it was easy to find things in the Control Panel as they were ordered by default alphabetically.
Maybe they could start with something similar, like applying that to their Settings App as that was touted to be a substitute if not actually a replacement for the Control Panel.

Reaction score
The article mentions "legacy Windows desktop". There are people who like the look and feel of Windows Vista and Windows 7. I think the folks at Microsoft have to do something to justify their existence. We had to do that in the US Air Force, and probable the other services as well.

The last Windows Update that I allowed made my Dell XPS 8920 (c. 2017) made Windows 10 useless. I ditched the update (during re-boot - some GUI over DOS) turned Windows Update off to protect the current environment.

My other computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 (c. 2009) that runs Windows 7 and the winmail.exe client from Windows Vista. I liked that you could save messages easily with just drag and drop. I got it to run briefly on the Windows 10 machine until the first Windows 10 Update made winmail.exe inoperable. (Thanks a lot, Microsoft!)

Windows 10 has the bare-bones Windows Mail client. To save messages you have to "Save As..." one at a time and search for a place to put them. Microsoft wants you to buy Outlook, which has way more features than I will ever use.

Dr. McCoy in the first Star Trek movie remarked, "Engineers just love to change things!" Scotty in Star Trek III says of the USS Excelsior (a part of "The Great Experiment"), "The more they overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain!"

;):p;)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember how it was easy to find things in the Control Panel as they were ordered by default alphabetically.
Maybe they could start with something similar, like applying that to their Settings App as that was touted to be a substitute if not actually a replacement for the Control Panel.
Amen to that!

Reaction score
Amen to that!
Don't you mean "Amen and Awomen to that"? Gotta keep things politically correct. Even if the words don't make any damn sense at all. Sad times we live in now. As much as I don't like MS's Start Menu. I will welcome it with arms wide open, before I welcome this political nonsense coming from our leaders.

P.S. Please excuse the thread derail and venting. I'm hoping everyone starts laughing about this so it is swept under a rug and forgotten. This religious mockery has to stop.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I certainly hope that this
Windows 10X for Single Screens Leaks - Thurrott.com
Isn't what we're waiting for.

I managed to do that a month ago with a product called Cloud Ready from a company called Neverware.
CloudReady for Home: Free Download — Neverware

It was fun for a while but then I got bored.
I foresee a big cluster F#@K coming in a decade or so....with a hybirdized of 10X and Windows 10 as a single OS. If windows x ever takes off.

I could never get that Neverware to work. But I would still like to try it...I've got plenty of HDD's to test it on. LOL!

Ask a Question