SOLVED Backup not possible??

Reaction score
My wife has bought a new laptop with Windows 10 pro on a NVme drive. Usually, I can use my Acronis 2014 to make a backup of UEFI enabled computer, however it will not detect the NVme drive, not even Acronis 2019 will see it. I am starting Acronis from a Flash drive. What am I doing wrong??

Reaction score
This is the main reason I swtiched from Acronis to Macrium. The Acronis bootable media doesn't have all the necessary drivers to detect drives like NVME. Macrium free version uses Windows 10 PE for it's bootable media which has excellent driver support for various drives. I was able to backup a Windows 10 PC with an NVME drive using Macrium 7 free rescue media (Acronis 2019 bootable media couldn't see the drive).

Reaction score
This is the main reason I swtiched from Acronis to Macrium. The Acronis bootable media doesn't have all the necessary drivers to detect drives like NVME. Macrium free version uses Windows 10 PE for it's bootable media which has excellent driver support for various drives. I was able to backup a Windows 10 PC with an NVME drive using Macrium 7 free rescue media (Acronis 2019 bootable media couldn't see the drive).
I had a hunch that it would have been a driver issue. Well, right now I am in the process the change the digital license on my wife's old laptop from home to pro. That gives me the chance to install macrium free which I have in version 7 and 8.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Reaction score
Well, I tried Macrium 8 (updated from 7) and it nicely created a bootable flash drive. However, the only drives it sees, are the flash drive and the backup drive, no sign of the NVme. Back to square one.....

Reaction score
Well that doesn't make any sense - Windows 8 & higher have native NVME drive support. I purchased a mini PC that came with an M2 NVME drive and Windows 10 pre-installed. I also purchased a blank M2 NVME drive. When I received the unit I booted off my Macrium 7 rescue USB and was able to create an image of the NVME drive to an external USB hard drive. I then replaced the NVME with the blank one, booted off the Macrium USB and restored the image I created onto the blank one. Afterwards I booted into Windows 10 successfully from the formerly blank NVME. I did this just to test Macrium's backup/restore capability.

Try re-creating the Macrium rescue media - I chose to create an ISO and then copied it to a USB that was formatted with Ventoy.

Reaction score
Well, I finally figured it out. Installing Macrium on the PC that is to be imaged, solved the problem. I was also able to create a rescue disk on a flash drive after I extracted the Rescue-ISO onto it. Now I can run Macrium from the flash drive as well as making backups "live" with a running Windows. The backup under Windows went really fast. The whole NVme drive backed up in 4 minutes to an external (SSD) drive which is also used as file backup.

Problem solved.

Ask a Question