Backup problem

Reaction score
I'm running W10 Home and trying to do a system backup with the Windows 7 Backup and Restore feature. I get the following messages: "failure creating a directory on the backup storage location" and "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." Plenty of space on the external drive I'm backing up to. I've tried looking at the log files but can't get any help there. Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Forget this feature. It is as buggy as it can get and from what I have heard and read, it has never worked the way it was intended to.
Better system backups are the free version of Macrium reflect or if you have a Western digital (Sandisk too) drive you can get Acronis True image for free.
I myself am using True Image (an older version (2011) as my computer are all using MBR, not UEFI) .it has never let me down so far..
There may be others out there besides the not yet mentioned AOMEI Backupper.

Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Grizzly. Windows backup is terrible and buggy. I use an older version of AOMEI Backupper. I wouldn't recommend the new free version anymore. It's become a trial version apparently. Macrium is an excellent solution though. EaseUS Todo Backup Free is decent too.

Ask a Question