registry backup inquiry

Reaction score
recently i backed up the registry...i do this once a month. but lately noticed the file is much smaller than previous backups. went from over 300MB down to 72MB for example. i put a copy to desktop and documents (just in case) something goes wrong, lets say after get OS update or another scenario..why is the file so low? i need it to do a full backup.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
That's just the update file size.....so you have a base size at 300mb then the latest backup size is 72mb. That's the difference between the old back up and the current one. It only copies the new files.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You might want to start looking in on how to do a system image and incremental backups with a 3rd party software like Acronis, Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper. Search those on Youtube and see how it's done.

Reaction score
ok thx ill look into these backup programs...imho, i never use any backup software. i put all my faith in registry backups. i cant afford to use more memory on this low budget pc

Reaction score
I doubt the registry backup would help if the drive failed or you needed to replace the PC but with an image backup you can restore to a new drive or PC.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
i put all my faith in registry backups.
You can not restore an OS with just a registry backup. So if your system does crap out on you.....having the registry backed up, it will just sit there taking up space. You're backing up the wrong data for a OS repair/reinstall.

Windows 10 has a built in "Backup" utility in settings, update and security, on the left side of window, 4th down....."Backup". I've never used it.....

Reaction score
good news guys. ive bought AOMEI backupper pro. ive created a bootable USB. its not at all complicated. but am curious about the sync section..which one to use

UEFI sync.PNG

Reaction score
Basic sync sounds like it backs up changes made on the PC to the backup but via manual sync.
Real Time sync sounds like it will backup the changes immediately as the files are changed.
Mirror sync seems to offer the standard automatic backup which is run on a schedule.
Two-way sync seems unneeded as any changes made under the backup will be reflected on the PC & visa versa.
Either Mirror sync or Real Time sync would be best. Of the two real time sync is the best.

Macrium is free & much simpler For me.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Real Time: is when something is done in the moment....like 'real time" AV protection....it protects as it's happening.

I would just go with basic sync.....unless you're making 50 changes to the system every hour.....real time sync is not needed and will just work your system endlessly. I would go basic sync and then set the backup as daily or depending on the changes that you make to the system....even a weekly backup.

The bottom line is what ever makes you happy and comfortable doing.

As I stated in post #8, Windows has a built in backup. With this thread.....I set it up at that time and set it to back up daily. I would have went with weekly but only daily or hourly, and minutes are the choices. All it backed up was my data and that went on a external drive. So if my OS crashed and broke....I would still need to re-install or clean install the OS. Then just add my data. It's quite simplistic but functional.

Ask a Question