Corrupt ConfigurationRegistry

Reaction score
I have a computer that will not install the latest update. In investigating the cause I found the Configuration Registry is corrupt. I ran sfc /scannow, but it is unable to run. I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - which is where I learned of the corruption, however, it is not able to repair the problem. I used the free WDS 10 upgrade several years ago, and don't have install disks. The computer is running WDS 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.0. Is there a way to repair the registry?

Reaction score
You are aware that you Windows is over a year old and the latest Version is 16299??
What you can do is using either the upgrade tool or the media creation tool to get your pc up to date.The media creation tool can create an install disk (flash drive or DVD --- I prefer flash drive)
both tools you can get here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
You are aware that you Windows is over a year old and the latest Version is 16299??
What you can do is using either the upgrade tool or the media creation tool to get your pc up to date.The media creation tool can create an install disk (flash drive or DVD --- I prefer flash drive)
both tools you can get here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the latest version, the problem is - I can't update. WDS will perform the download, verify and start to install. Then the next thing I know, there's a message telling me its installing the previous version. When I went looking for the problem, I found, according to the DISM scan, that the configuration registry is corrupt. DISM cannot repair the problem. I did try using the media creation tool, but the same thing occurs. Any other suggestions? I'm trying to avoid having to Refresh, losing all the software I've added and having to reinstall it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The error message is almost certainly referring to the Components file located at C:\Windows\System32\Config\Components

If this is corrupted then the hive within the Registry will be unable to be accessed as anticipated when called by an application.

Theoretically you can repair the Component file, but in reality its usually simpler to do a clean install of the OS, especially when the restore health within the DISM command fails.

Ask a Question