Windows 10 Black Screen..."The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted..." error

ETA

Reaction score
The following error message simply popped up on my screen: "The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?" I was not trying to delete nor restore any files.
It just appeared all of a sudden, and the screen behind the error message box went black. My cursor still works, but answering either YES or NO in the error box, both yield the same results. The error box remains on the screen, and screen remains black. Shutting down the computer and turning it back on.... the same error box remains and the screen is still black.

PLEASE! Any suggestions?

--ETA

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I really don't have any idea, as to what might be going on, but....
The first thing I would try is Safe Mode
Reboot the machine and at the login screen, instead of signing in use the power icon on the bottom right, and choose restart, while holding down the shift key.
Use that process to get you to the advanced startup settings options and choose either #4 Safe Mode or #5 Safe Mode with Networking.
See if that changes anything with respect to how the machine behaves.
Try to empty the recycle bin in safe mode and see if that helps.

Another thing you might want to try is, to....
Launch a command prompt as "Administrator" and perform a check disk with the R switch
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
Answer in the affirmative "Y" when prompted and then
Reboot the system and let the Check Disk complete.
Depending on the size of the drive this can take quite a while and will likely get to 10% and show no further progress until it is finished, so...
Don't panic, just let it run, when it's done it will auto reboot the machine and you can inspect the results report in Event Viewer, Windows Logs, Application log.

ETA

Reaction score
Thank you for responding to me.
The only way I can power off the machine is to press the power button. (BTW, I'm on a Dell desktop). CTRL-ALT-DEL does not work. When I power it back up, the error msg is still there on a black screen. The screen just remains black, so I cannot do anything at all. I can move my cursor around, but all I have is the error msg on a black screen and there's nothing to click on except a YES and NO on the error window. But when I click on either YES or NO, it does absolutely nothing. So I'm trying to get out of this black screen so I can try your suggestions for getting rid of the "Recycle" error msg.

Ask a Question