Windows 10, hanging after e-mail log-on and black screen

Reaction score
Hi,

Please can anyone help, not long purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition pre-installed. Going well until recently has started to hang, on the e-mail log-in and password page - got another Outlook user to try too; basically the same. I, get the black screen which looks like it's trying to open the desktop and from recollection you get the arrow cursor. I Can get into it via the Safe Mode and all the settings are pretty much as they were out the box.

After looking on the internet and checked a couple of things to troubleshoot - I took in the Device Manager and noticed under Monitor that there was one with a yellow rectangle and exclamation mark under 'Generic PnP Monitor'. I think it's possibly this causing the issue. My question would be as I can only get into the laptop via Safe Mode - and can't get internet access this way. If, I uninstall and re-boot, will this fix this issue i.e it will re-install itself from bootup and will I still get a screen showing as it's a laptop. Apologies, if this is a long thread - this is my first proper dealings with Windows 10. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum 70816Bit.

When you are in Safe Mode Microsoft uses default drivers, which will be why you are seeing that Generic PnP for your monitor.

I'm finding your post a little confusing as you mention Email and Logon and Password page.

Are you unable to sign-in from the Lockscreen > Sign-in Screen to load your Desktop?
  • If that is what you mean, then you need to use the password or pin you chose to associate with your User account, not an email.
  • Occasionally some users have issues with their keyboard not working correctly at sign-in, so to exclude that as being an issue, you can click the Ease of Access icon [ left of the power icon in bottom right corner of Sign-in page], then select On-Screen Keyboard then click inside the password field and use the mouse to select the letters or numbers to enter your password.

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies for the confusing post above - I should have stated I meant the Lockscreen - Sign-in-Screen. This has worked fine for both mine and the persons' Microsoft Account (It's my Dad's laptop). We can both sign-in to our regular accounts. But, I noted to him the onscreen keyboard, if he ever does get stuck.

After looking at the possibly missing driver scenario the yellow rectangle and exclamation mark under 'Generic PnP Monitor' will always appear even after uninstall and so on. It's then I started digging on the web and looking around the Services Menu - as I've had some peculiar dealings with Windows Apps and installations over the years. Well, it seemed there was something call 'AppReadiness' and I found in Safe Mode and decided to go via 'Ctrl + Alt + Del' on a regular black screen showing to Stop it and it worked. However, temporarily until re-booting. After reading some other peoples posts a lot of others disable it and as this then brings the desktop back in reasonable time.

My question, would be is there any negative effect with disabling this? My Dad is quite keen on the App side of things - like the convenience but I wouldn't want them to stop working. Also, I got a little Dell Web book for travelling at Christmas and it's main purpose is just going to be for Skype and the occasional browsing. Thinking of disabling this on there too as it appears to be a gripe from what I've read with other Windows 10 users.

Ask a Question