Bay Area counties to shut down ahead of California mandate amid ‘dark COVID winter’

Reaction score
Jumping ahead of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s latest pandemic directive, five Bay Area counties announced Friday they would shut down much of their economies this weekend to try to stem a mushrooming wave of COVID-19 infections in California.

“We must act swiftly,” said Chris Farnitano, Contra Costa County’s health services officer, in announcing the shutdown. “This is an emergency.”

The announcement came a day after Newsom said the state would impose stricter shutdowns — including closure of hair and nail salons, tighter restrictions on retailers and an end to outdoor restaurant dining — once a region is down to 15% available capacity in its intensive care units.

its deja vu all over again...just when i was getting used to stores reopening normally, and no long lines...all that will come back starting monday december 7th. brace for impact. what normally takes me an hour to shop might take 2-3 hours . thats the way it goes. grin and bear it. but hopefully the lockdown will be lifted again next year. but it will be a roller coaster effect, open, close..open, close.

Reaction score
Hi GRD1,

you aren't alone, we have a maximum of two households/5 people (children under 14 not included). Happy Christmas!. :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Reaction score
ive been in lockdown even before the pandemic started. life as a retired person is nice. but that doesnt mean im sedentary. active everyday. but with the new vaccines being shipped out and finally covid would be brought to its knees, ill still wear a mask outside. for how long, not sure

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Our illustrious Governor of NC has put us on a state wide curfew from 10 pm to 5 pm. He says it's not a real curfew but more or less stricter guidelines. Where all public business are to shut down at 10 pm and reopen at 5 am and a bunch of other rules.

So my question; why call it a curfew if it's not? Which it really is as the cops are forcing people to go home after 11pm or go to jail.

Reaction score
Getting the same over here in PENNSYLVANIA. Governor doing strict 3 week cutback. If everyone doesn't take this seriously I feel, hope not, will get worst and many more will die. If the number change for the better Gov may loosen up some.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Sad thing for us in NC is, when the crap hits the fan for real.....the order for the curfew is all ready enacted/in place......all he has to do is order the National Guard up at any time.

Reaction score
My 2nd oldest sister is in London, they are going into lockdown again but not sure when?. :( My sister is 70 and gets food delivered to her by someone (dry food). 1 of her sons lives with her but she doesn't trust him to shop because he buys what he wants and not what she needs lol!. :):):)

Waaaaaay too many people still haven't got the message!. Wear a mask people please, it may save your life or the lives of your family and friends!. ;););)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I can't and won't wear a mask.......due to my medical issues. That said, I'm smart enough to know and common sense tells me.....if you don't wear a mask then don't go out. So I choose not to go out. That's just me.....logic, common sense and smarts put to good use.

Reaction score
Hi Bass,

I can understand people in your situation and it is good to know that you obviously have the right amount of common sense to deal with the situation!. I am 66 and have had health issues myself, I wear a mask even in areas where it isn't mandatory because it is easier than putting the mask on and taking it off again. :cool:

I live in southern Germany and they just banned plastic face masks because they don't filter anything, the breathe just gets blown downwards but isn't filtered at all, in heated building during winter, the aerosols float around for quite a while!. :(

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I wish I could visit my homeland....so I'm told that's were my families lineage is from. What part of Germany are you from?

Reaction score
Empathy here also. I have certain breathing problems as well. I can endure a 5 minute trip in a supermarket, wearing a mask, but no longer.
Xmas? A disaster. Our family usually gathet at the home of one of my children for the official day. Later they all come to us. That is all now forbidden. Whilst we may have our own opinions, we will obey the regulations, so , particularly for my wife and I, it will be a very lonely xmas.

Reaction score
What part of Germany are you from?
Hi Bass,

I am in Bavaria (Oberbayern) and its damn cold here at the mo lol!. :p:p:p

@davehc, I think a lot of people are going to miss their families this year, I was going to my girlfriends parents as we have done for ages but it has been cancelled. So just the two of us this year!.

Despite the current situation, I wish everyone well . Stay safe everyone. :):):)

Reaction score
Like to add, we are laying low since wife has asthma and I'm a 3 year stroke survivor. Just following CDC guidelines and doing grocery store on slower days. We did go out for dinner a few times.

Reaction score
Wife and I are doing our part to stay safe here in Oklahoma.

We plan our shopping at the odd hours when crowds are at minimum which is usually in the wee hours of the early morning such as 4am or so.

Yeah it's a PITA wearing masks however a small inconvenience imo.

I doubt our Christmas will be as usual and that's fine with me as we usually have a big family and friends get together and although we enjoy seeing everyone it's a tiring task at our age of 68 years old.

Reaction score
Shutting all the shops here except supermarkets on Wednesday (16th Dec) until the 10th of Jan, no fireworks on New Years Eve either!. :(:(:(

Reaction score
Just found out that there will also be a curfew from 21:00 - 05:00hrs. That sucks!. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
We have restrictions at bars and restaurants and most restaurants are only doing drive thru now and I'm expecting to see more restrictions in the near future after Christmas Holidays and New Years Holidays if not before.

It's getting worse on my side of the pond and if things don't start getting better I see more stricter changes being imposed.

On my side of the pond the general population won't be able to receive the Covid vaccination until middle of 2021 so I expect things to tighten up more as a lot of people still aren't doing what is necessary on their end.

I don't like it but can't change it so I'll adjust as needed.

Wife and I try to make the best of each day and eventually this will get under control but until then we wait and see what happens.

Life is still good. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It's getting worse on my side of the pond and if things don't start getting better I see more stricter changes being imposed.
Doesn't this sound very familiar.......if history serves me well, this is how it all started some 75 + years ago. Just saying.

Ask a Question