Boot on new drive. Win 10

Reaction score
After cloning a new ssd the new drive won't boot. The bios recognizes it but the only way to get the machine to boot is to connect the old drive. I'm guessing I'll need to try to clone again or maybe install from the back up?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After the cloning process.....your supposed to remove the old hdd and install the new hdd, in your case the ssd and it should boot from that. Then the old drive is to be wiped cleaned and used for whatever.

Reaction score
The cloning process should have dealt with the MBR on the new drive. I had this happen once and the machine would not boot with the old drive connected until I redid the cloning process.

Reaction score
Yeah, after re-cloning, it still wouldn't boot so I then put my Win 10 rescue disk in and had it correct the start up problems and that got it up and running. I've heard of the same problems with win 10 on other forums. It's funny I had to install the new drive before the cloning could take place. I bought the sata to usb cable but the drive never got recognized either in bios or on the ui of the cloning software. After installing the drive into the machine, it was recognized and then it cloned although it wouldn't boot which led to the final solution with the rescue disk.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking when you clone a drive, it is important that the source drive be removed before attempting to boot the machine.
I believe that most cloning software makes mention of this during the configuration for cloning.

Reaction score
No it was a Samsung and it made no mention of removing the source drive. You're supposed to connect the new drive via sata to usb cable and then install the new drive after cloning and then remove the old drive.

Reaction score
I agree with Trouble that the source drive must be removed AND with some mobos it would be important to plug the new drive into the same SATA socket as the original for the initial boot. I have seen this problem on W10 once where the new drive was just not seen until replugged into the original socket.

After the machine has come back with the new drive then the old drive can be installed and reformatted to remove any lurking system partitions.

Ask a Question