SOLVED Bought a Demo laptop, someone set himself up as admin.

Reaction score
Picked up an HP laptop from Costco. Last unit, demo, perfect condition, nice discount.
Turns out someone set himself up as a user and administrator.
Can't download or delete apps, make changes of any sort.
Must be a way to get rid of the account, tried a factory reset, but is asking for user name and password.
I need help or I'm returning it :)
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi,

if you have nothing on the laptop, completely delete Win 10 and do a fresh install as it would be easier than trying to troubleshoot why you cannot do certain things on the system!.

Get a copy of Win 10 from the following link. (Change language as the link is for English GB!).

You won't need a key as long as Windows 10 was/is activated!. Simply click on "I don't have a product key". :)

1591861222435.png

Reaction score
I would go back to the seller and tell him to sort it. Could be a swindle of some kind

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Picked up an HP laptop from Costco. Last unit, demo, perfect condition, nice discount.
Turns out someone set himself up as a user and administrator.
Can't download or delete apps, make changes of any sort.
Must be a way to get rid of the account, tried a factory reset, but is asking for user name and password.
I need help or I'm returning it :)
Thanks in advance
Somebody messed up.....stores like that, that sell demo's are supposed to do exactly as Wolfie stated before handing over the device to the customer.

Yep...once you do that...the clean install yourself....you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Thank you all.
Managed to get Microsoft online help late last night, they were very helpfull.
After setting up remote assisstance and trying a few things the technician run WinRE and we did a clean install, just as you all advised
All is good now

Ask a Question