BSOD crash when playing videos WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Reaction score
I have upgraded from w 8 to 10, and later a did a fresh install of windows 10.
The PC is a Lenovo M180, CPU D2700, display adaptor AMD Radeon HD6400 that I use to drive a HDMI TV.
It has been working fine for some years with windows 7. Then I got the messages for upgrade to 10 and it became a nightmare.

Every attempt to run video crashes the machine with the above error. Using W10 Photo or TV and Video, but also when accessing any video on Chrome, or apps like NETFLIX.

What can I do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I can't seem to find any reference to an M180 device here http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/?menu-id=lenovo_products
I suspect that you will need to use Lenovo's Support website to download and install whatever drivers they might have available for you device and Windows 10, paying particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, Video, Sound, Network, etc.,.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I can't seem to find any reference to an M180 device here http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/?menu-id=lenovo_products
I suspect that you will need to use Lenovo's Support website to download and install whatever drivers they might have available for you device and Windows 10, paying particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, Video, Sound, Network, etc.,.

Thanks for the answer and the welcome... My mistake or mis type. I have a Q180 not M... Does it help ?

TKS

Reaction score
I am using the Q180 in exactly the same way and have spent weeks trying to solve this display adapter problem with Windows 10. I've tried a number of different versions of the display adapter driver without any change in performance. You CAN play vidoes without BSOD if you disable the display adapter driver under the device manager. However, this limits the display resolution to sub-HD and the aspect ratio is off. If you are running Kodi, TVMC, and the like, then you must have the display driver enabled or you will have slow, jerky video. This is where I'm at now, disabling the driver for some applications and enabling the driver for others (must reboot after enable/disable). I wanted to revert back to Windows 7, but the 30-day period for upgrades had elapsed and now I'm stuck. If anybody had a better solution, I'd dearly love to hear it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am using the Q180 in exactly the same way and have spent weeks trying to solve this display adapter problem with Windows 10. I've tried a number of different versions of the display adapter driver without any change in performance. You CAN play vidoes without BSOD if you disable the display adapter driver under the device manager. However, this limits the display resolution to sub-HD and the aspect ratio is off. If you are running Kodi, TVMC, and the like, then you must have the display driver enabled or you will have slow, jerky video. This is where I'm at now, disabling the driver for some applications and enabling the driver for others (must reboot after enable/disable). I wanted to revert back to Windows 7, but the 30-day period for upgrades had elapsed and now I'm stuck. If anybody had a better solution, I'd dearly love to hear it.

Problem:
I have many Lenovo Q180's at work that started doing this recently with Windows 10. I finally found a solution after trying many trial and error tests. I wish I would have found this thread earlier... would have saved a ton of time as I did not know for sure if it was the video card driver until today. All of these Q180's have an AMD Radeon HD 6400 Series display driver. I have tested every version from back in 4/17/2014 Driver version 14.100 from AMD's site, and up to the current version and last published beta version before they discontinued any support on this GPU dated 02/27/2016 Crimson v 16.2.1. NONE OF THEM WORKED and ALL those drivers tested resulted in a BSOD. And by the way these were all 64bit drivers. I did not test anything 32 bit.

SOLUTION:
The only solution was found by using this driver version: (I know it's old and was meant for Windows 7 64 bit, but if it keeps windows 10 from rebooting, I'm using it.) NO BSOD anymore!!
Version 13.12 WHQL Release Date 12/18/2013

BTW, I tested this on Windows 1511 build as well as 1607
You can find the download page from AMD here.
Or the driver file from AMD's site here.

I hope this helps save someone else from all the hassle I went through!

Reaction score
hello to a in the thread. I know this is an old thread but felt i had to register to come back with some excellent news about the little q180.

As what @Mrdigi had found out with the older driver as to being fully funccional, i tested the same version (but 32bit drivers) on a Windows 10 32bit system. unfortunately the drivers on amd were nowhere to be found (quite normal imo) so i searched and found them on 3d guru, link underneath. On that page they have the 64bit listed too.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-13-12-whql-download,3.html

Now. I had a problem scaling the q180 to my LG tv via hdmi, and found that the driver does not have a scaling option in order to scale the desktop to the whole screen even though the resolution was set to 1920x1080.

So.... i re-installed the driver that was last used with catalyst. I could then see the scaling option.

Fine. tried kodi, and CRASH!!!

Then i tried going into device manager and force installed the 3d guru driver (13.12whql) whilst i had the catalyst control center open, and guess what...it installed, unscaled, but the control center remembered the last driver and let me scale the screen. A very happy man :D . So after a resart just to check all was ok...all was working as should, no whea freezes in kodi nor in youtube.
I then checked the control panel for amd....and yes it had changed with no scaling options. But i dont mind as i have the driver working perfectly and with no issues....fully scaled :D

thought i would bring this up as this thread really helped me a lot and especially @Mrdigi's post and thought this bit of extra info should be added.

thanks to all

Richard

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi all, I too had this “BSOD crash” problem and spent many many hours on it exhaustively trying a host of Radeon Adrenalin and Crimson drivers, as well as earlier versions. As I write I am on latest W10 build 1803. I use this wonderful Teresa Mannion clip to test if the BSOD exists: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35028470

Before finding this solution I also ran in a copy of the 13.12 driver mentioned above (there are a number of packages around - the guru3d.com site is a good source) with limited success; no BSOD, BUT there is the HDMI scaling issue with black picture frame surround explained by @h3dgecutter above, though you do get the full resolution range supported as stated.

The solution I found (no scaling issue) is to use this driver from Lenovo:

https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/downloads/ds022334 after extracting the driver from the downloaded package ID1VDO52WW5.exe, it can be found in:

...\ATI Discrete VGA driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF folder and the version is 08/17/2011, 8.881.1.0000 which is stable and gives the full range of supported resolutions (there is a later version 8.x at https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/downloads/ds029174 that I did not test).

To install you MUST use the manual driver install – Update the display driver, then browse my computer AND at the bottom “Let me pick from a list...” and find the inf file in the path above; the card is an HD 6450A, so select that. I think you can also right mouse click and install from the C7124077.inf file on the path above.

There is one problem to overcome – Windows wants to update the diver to the newer one when Windows Update runs, so you have to invoke a policy to STOP this BEFORE it runs, so you may wish to be off-line (network unplugged or WiFi off). Applying the policy is a simple process and can be easily searched.

Essentially you need to know the hardware ID’s from the driver properties, then details and then dropdown box to Hardware ID’s, and they are:

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6770&SUBSYS_366917AA&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6770&SUBSYS_366917AA
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6770&CC_030000
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6770&CC_0300

Next run gpedit.msc

1. Go to Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions
2. Next Double-click on “Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device Ids” and set it to “Enabled” from the three options.
3. Lastly click the Show button to launch the dialog titled "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs".
4. For each of the FOUR Hardware ID’s above, paste each of the copied hardware-id values into the “value dialogue box” one at a time – you should then have four separate lines, then OK to close.
5. Finally click OK or Apply to finish.

Windows Update will now error when it tries to install the version 15.200 of the driver (because of the policy), and will not try again – EVER! That’s it, good luck

Reaction score
SOLUTION:
The only solution was found by using this driver version: (I know it's old and was meant for Windows 7 64 bit, but if it keeps windows 10 from rebooting, I'm using it.) NO BSOD anymore!!
Version 13.12 WHQL Release Date 12/18/2013

Thank you so much! This definitely works and you saved my life (or at least a few hours of hassle to go through).

Ask a Question