Build 10061 Start Menu Glitch

Reaction score
Just discovered that only a few apps such as Project Spartan and the calculator will open from the start menu unless I right click and select run as administrator. I'm the only user and am signed in as administrator but for some reason it's not recognized in the start menu (with noted exceptions).

Clicking an item in the start menu such as trying to open the Big Fish Game Manager will do nothing but return me to the desktop. The program does not show up in Task Manager as running either unless opened from the task bar or run as administrator command. If I right click and select run as administrator the program opens and runs normally. I also discovered that if I right click and select pin to the task bar the program will open normally from there. Something is not right in the 10061 start menu. At least on my machine.

Also just discovered that Internet Explorer is not listed in the start menu but there is an icon for it on the task bar.

Reaction score
Ok for me (Fresh install from ISO) Internet explorer is now in the accessories, for some reason

Reaction score
Where do you find accessories? I don't see it listed anywhere.
Under W ...... Windows Accessories.

P.S. Spartan is the default browser. That's why MS is "hiding" IE11.
If you have desktop shortcuts created before build 10061, you will find that they don't work.
In order to get them to work again, you will have to switch default back to IE11.

Reaction score
Never would have thought to look in accessories. IE11 still opens from the task bar icon. I found an ongoing discussion of the start menu glitch in the Insider Hub forum. I guess its a known bug.

Reaction score
I read that a couple days ago and the part about the start menu problem didn't even register at the time. I guess it was because I hadn't tried anything from the start menu and I just didn't pay attention. I'm certain that old age couldn't have come into play here. Reading the forum posts on the Insider's Hub I'm amused at the number of people all in a dither and bashing Microsoft for releasing build 10061 with such an obvious flaw. They seem to completely overlook the warnings that there will be occasional bugs and glitches in a preview release.

Ask a Question