SOLVED Preview Build 18317 (19H1)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The process is getting ridiculous.
Looked like a good install, then it wouldn't restart when it made the restart button available, then I closed the settings window and reopened it and clicked the restart button and then it restarted.

Upon restart, no sign of the new build. It never installed.

They're doing the bugbash next week. Think I'll wait and see what comes out of that.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't know why I even bother

Capture2.PNG

Reaction score
I tried installing using my best hard drive and same results as always. "Missing one or more components" and halted.

Reaction score
@Trouble : I got that screen too but I had an addition to that: 2019-01 Update KB4487255 that was pending restart too.
even clicking on "restart" did not do anything so I restarted manually. Low and behold, It installed the latest version.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunately I did not have the same experience on either of my two instances with the physical machine or the VM I have on the Fast Ring.
Both behaved identically after at least two attempts on both.

In a final effort I was able to obtain the files required to build an ISO using UUPtoISO from my C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder (after the download portion had completed but before the installation could fail again) and used that to perform the in-place upgrade on both instances which were both successful.

While I had used that same method in the past (in days of yore) I hadn't had to use it on latest builds until the two most recent and it's a giant pain in the rear.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
After the pre release of 18317 i realise that...some video files are not opening properly.....its getting too late to open...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
its getting too late to open
Is that an error message or other message box that you are getting?
What is the file extension of these "video files"?

Additionally, IF you could use the snipping tool to capture an image of whatever you are getting when you attempt to launch one of these files, it might be helpful to assure we're all on the same page.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is no error message is coming, all those lagging file having a common thing, all those video files are downloaded from YTS torrent

Reaction score
Not sure, but are you suggesting that Microsoft are using a pirate site (I believe currently under investigation) to upload/download files, or are they something already on your computer?

Reaction score
Not sure, but are you suggesting that Microsoft is using a pirate site (I believe currently under investigation) to upload/download files, or are they something already on your computer?

no, videos downloaded from YTS are taking around 1 min to get load or sometimes its getting crash while I tried to open those videos

Reaction score
currently, I'm in the windows build of 18317, I'm facing various problem is there any way to get into the stable build of windows directly

Reaction score
I choose not to be in the Insider program, but you do have a choice of builds. The other contributors on this thread can advise.

I cannot advise on you video problems. For me, torrent sites are taboo.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically you'd just go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Left Column select Windows Insider Program (near the bottom) and select "Stop" after that there's a couple options to choose from so you pick your poison and go from there.
As I recall, at this early stage of the process it is not very elegant a procedure.

Ask a Question