SOLVED Insider Preview Build 18309 (19H1)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Clark.... much appreciated.

January 3, 2019 2:35 pm released to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18309/#c1RbrFoy1l2YMuui.97

I would expect a few of these, leading up to the Bug Bash scheduled for the 23rd.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Downloaded and installed but would not work and started to restore the old version. I gave up and switched back to my best drive with the October update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think you're actually missing too much. This one seems to be pretty much of a yawn.
There will probably be a couple more so that they have something that they can beat up on in the upcoming Bug Bash.

I'm more or less waiting and watching for something to move to the slow ring or maybe even the release preview ring.
That would suggest to me that things are moving along and we might start seeing something other than an 1809 version.

Reaction score
Tried again with better drive but same problem. might be because I spilled some tea on my good keyboard and had to change to a usb keyboard

Reaction score
I know the feeling. I have a nosey cat which has, several times, almost caused a catastrophe jumping up to see what I am up to. The coffee cup has gone flying, often.

Reaction score
(19H1)

Didn't I read something about Microsoft going on a crusade to do away with passwords?
This has about as much chance as Donald and his wall.
I have never been more browbeaten about passwords since leaving the government and dealing with Microsoft.
The one thing I have learned is never take on a Microsoft account.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Didn't I read something about Microsoft going on a crusade to do away with passwords?
I'm not exactly sure that it qualifies as a crusade, but....
Yes, it seems that with many devices equipped with the proper hardware you can sign on to a device with
Your finger print (with a finger print reader)
Your face (with "Hello" and a camera that supports facial recognition)
And now, they've introduced a
Signing in to Windows with password-less Microsoft accounts on all Windows 10 editions
We’re pushing forward on eliminating passwords and keeping your accounts safe with another cool feature. With Build 18305, we announced support for setting up and signing in to Windows 10 with a phone number account, without having to create, or deal with the hassle of a password for Insiders using the Windows 10 Home edition. Today, that support is extending to all Windows 10 editions!
SOURCE: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ider-preview-build-18309/#c76dF23D45QodyIS.97

SO Now.... your finger print and mug shot can be stored in the cloud and a phone number can be associated with them, all in the name of "Security".

Brings to mind Ben Franklin's quote....
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety".

You could easily substitute "Privacy" for "Liberty" and "Security" for "Safety"
AND
We, like Lemmings run blindly toward the cliff's edge.

It's probably important to note that these so called "features" are not unique to Microsoft.
I believe that if you have an Android or Apple device, most if not all of these are common.

Last edited:
Reaction score
". Once you’ve setup your account, you can use Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint, or a PIN (depending on your device capabilities) to sign in to Windows 10. No password needed anywhere!"

Er?? What is it I do not understand? Would that not be the same as entering a password?
Easier, imho, to bypass the password altogether for for the login. It only prevents nosey people in you working environment from peeping at your work.

Reaction score
My financial institution likes to call them "challenge questions" like your grandmothers' first name, the street where you grew up etc. I suppose next they'll ask your shoe size.

Ask a Question