SOLVED Preview Build 18312 (19H1)

Reaction score
So, when they say they are going to start reserving drive space for updates will there be some special partition?

Does this mean their attempt at compressing files to create space was not doing the job?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your guess is as good as mine. I have absolutely no idea.
Maybe on a second drive or partition
OR
Maybe they'll just create another un-lettered partition on the primary drive.
Who knows. I guess we'll see sooner or later.

Some might think that it just means less of my purchased system resources are available to me
While Microsoft consumes more.

How much of my storage is reserved?
In the next major release of Windows (19H1), we anticipate that reserved storage will start at about 7GB,
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2019/01/07/windows-10-and-reserved-storage/

Reaction score
You might think at some point, OEMs would stop selling systems with 128 GB drives... Maybe even change minimum system requirements.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OR...…
I might think that Microsoft would at some point stop making an OS that used to fit on a handful of 1.44 MB diskettes and now won't fit on a 4.7 GB DVD.
BUT.....
That's just me thinking.
Something that according to my wife, always gets me in trouble.

Reaction score
Downloaded and partly installed before the usual error of every update since 305. My guess is that windows uses the existing version to help with the new installation. Giving up again and going back to "Slow"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So, when they say they are going to start reserving drive space for updates will there be some special partition?
Well I completed the "Quest" (which was a simple registry edit) prior to installing this latest Preview and now I'm showing

Capture1.PNG

It's not showing up as a partition and I suspect it might just be hidden somewhere among all the system folders and designated as a "cache" container.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Downloaded and partly installed before the usual error of every update since 305
Don't get me started. This was probably my worst experience with a new build upgrade for a year or more. I was stuck repeatedly here

Capture.PNG

AND it would just sit there for hours with no disk activity nor task manager showing anything of interest.

I finally just used the files that it did manage to download C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and UUPtoISO to generate the ISO and mounted that to perform the Upgrade.

The attempt on my Hyper-V VM was even more of a disaster which I think might be linked to last Tuesday cumulative update on my primary machine that hosts all my VMs. Still researching that, but....
I ended up having to perform a clean install on that and it still is not working 100%.

Reaction score
It's not showing up as a partition and I suspect it might just be hidden somewhere among all the system folders and designated as a "cache" container
Well, the new build comes out in 3 1/2 months, maybe the Insiders will evaluate this process and confirm it will not cause install problems. There was a user on one thread I noticed who stated he had 5 GBs available on his drive and considered that plenty of space .... :rolleyes:

Many folks on the Microsoft community site are having install problems with this build. It seems to be related to a systems configuration, as far as prior installs, and how the new build behaves. But something is being done differently, maybe it revolves around their attempt to stop the loss of personal files on some systems.

Ask a Question