Burn Windows 10 ISO to DVD

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just downloaded the windows 10 ISO to upgrade my Win 7 PC. When i tried to burn the ISO it said it was too large to fit on the DVD as it was over 5Gb.
Are there any files that can be removed to make it fit on a normal DVD? If so which files and how would I remove them?
thamks,
Gerald

Reaction score
Don't try it. Buy a 8 or 16GB USB drive for $10 and use that. Faster and more reliable as well.

Reaction score
I've been using DVD+R/DL [Dual-Layer] discs for several years that hold just a bit under 8GB. The burner has to support that, will usually have a marking on the face of the tray.

Reaction score
USBs, as Tim suggests, are the way of the future. Most Laptops, for example, these days do not even have a dvd drive, so it would be neccesary to use an external.

Reaction score
Rufus is the program to make bootable USBs from s Windows download.

@Bighorn. Assuming that you can even find a D/L DVD drive anymore! That means you can only use the disk to install windows on another machine that has one.

Reaction score
USBs cost. I find the easiest way, at least for starters, is to put the ISO on another partition or Disk, and mount it - run it from there.

Reaction score
Rufus is the program to make bootable USBs from s Windows download.

@Bighorn. Assuming that you can even find a D/L DVD drive anymore! That means you can only use the disk to install windows on another machine that has one.
True, but then I have clients to deal with and having more than 1 way to do that helps. And I do have 3 of the External USB CD/DVD drives and a couple of the External USB 3.5" floppy drives.

Last edited:
Reaction score
only my desktops and one of my laptop have a DVD burner build in, however for installation I use only USB drives (16GB) which have enough space to add the CU's and other updates for a complete offline install.
For DVD's I use Verbatim P/N98319 which are inkjet printable DVD+R DL (Dual layer). I buy those in 50packs and they last a long time.

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just downloaded the windows 10 ISO to upgrade my Win 7 PC. When i tried to burn the ISO it said it was too large to fit on the DVD as it was over 5Gb.
Are there any files that can be remwindows 10 ISO to make it fit on a normal DVD? If so which files and how would I remove them?
thamks,
Gerald

You need a minimum of an 8GB DVD or 8GB USB drive as 5GB is not enough. You either buy a double layered DVD (which is ancient and its very hard to buy) or and the best way to do this is to buy an 8GB USB thumb drive (costs $10) and back the bootable windows 10 ISO (but first you have to use e.g. power iso or alike iso program to decode the bootable windows 10 ISO files) and then copy it to the 8Gb USB thumb drive, simple, as that is what everyone is doing these days and not using DVD drives.

Reaction score
only my desktops and one of my laptop have a DVD burner build in, however for installation I use only USB drives (16GB) which have enough space to add the CU's and other updates for a complete offline install.
For DVD's I use Verbatim P/N98319 which are inkjet printable DVD+R DL (Dual layer). I buy those in 50packs and they last a long time.

I have about half a 50-disc cakebox left from a couple years ago and they are white Verbatim Printable, now if I just had an Epson or other printer with the tray to do it. However, a Sharpie works just fine.

Reaction score
Hi,
Are there any files that can be removed to make it fit on a normal DVD? If so which files and how would I remove them?
thamks,
Gerald
You need a minimum of an 8GB DVD or 8GB USB drive as 5GB is not enough. You either buy a double layered DVD (which is ancient and its very hard to buy) or and the best way to do this is to buy an 8GB USB thumb drive (costs $10) and back the bootable ‘windows 10 ISO’ (but first you have to use e.g. power iso or alike iso program to decode the bootable ‘windows 10 ISO’ files) and then copy it to the 8Gb USB thumb drive, simple, as that is what everyone is doing these days and not using DVD drives.

Btw, you don't need 'Rufus' to make the ‘windows 10 .iso’ to be bootable, it already has the boot file on it. Just decode the .iso file and copy it to an 8GB USB drive, then do the following:
  • Reboot and press either F2, F12 (or whatever is your computers ‘enter BIOS configuration’ method, on an old desktop ‘Del’ is usually the way to get into the BIOS.
  • Go to the ‘boot’ section of the BIOS and to ‘boot priority’
  • In ‘boot priority’ choose ‘USB CD ROM’ as your first booting order device
  • Then, have your USB plugged in and reboot your computer,
  • This should start the windows install files and the installation procedure to install Windows 10

Reaction score
However, a Sharpie works just fine.
Works for me as well. Burned four BD-R printable earlier tonight and used a sharpie. Made a minor mistake and bought printable on accident.

My burner is capable of Lightscribe. Unfortunately for me, they stopped making Lightscribe media. Although I have mostly used sharpie even when Lightscribe was available.

Reaction score
Works for me as well. Burned four BD-R printable earlier tonight and used a sharpie. Made a minor mistake and bought printable on accident.

My burner is capable of Lightscribe. Unfortunately for me, they stopped making Lightscribe media. Although I have mostly used sharpie even when Lightscribe was available.
I'm not saying that DVD's are not operatable and cant be used but, the USB method is far cheaper and more convenient plus and if I still had DVD of 'Lightscribe and/or Printable' or even a rewritable, I would save them for media only, as they are getting far harder to purchase and doing window installations DVD with them, is a waste of a DVD when you can use a USB. I've had 'Lightscribe' and Printable CD & DVD' and rewritables ages ago, they are dinosaurs now lol btw I still have some lightscribe cd's and dvd's but haven't got a burner for them and I use a sharpie to label them.

Last edited:

Ask a Question