Can I boot with an input language different than the display language ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the US english and the CA french input languages on my windows 10.

I'd like to have everything displayed in english, however I don't need the english keyboard, as I only use the french keyboard layout (which is also better for programming)

If I remove the english keyboard, everything becomes in partially translated french/english, which is annoying.
If I put the english keyboard in top priority, it boots in english, but then I always have to think about changing the keyboard layout once I'm logged in, which is also a bit annoying.

I can manage with it, but is there a setting somewhere to just say you want the display fixed in X language, and keyboard in another ?

Thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Yes there is.
  • In search box type Language | now press Enter key
  • In left pane click on Advanced settings
  • In the window that opens you will see two "Overide" options. The first is your Display language. The second is your Input language. Simply click the drop arrow on input and select your preferred language.
  • Once done click Save at the bottom of window

Happy Computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks, this worked out.
However, now I have a new problem.
The language isn't consistent, like you can see here. Even cortana is half and half.

Untitled.png

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

This one is a little trickier as you have two issues to contend with:
  • The Primary Language you chose under Language
  • Whether the app is using your preferences or is using its own language pack
    • Then if using its own one can you go to its settings and select another option
As before typing Language in the search box and hitting enter brings you to your list of installed language packs. The one at the top is your Primary Language and its this one most apps will use.

However, some apps use their own language settings.

This article on Microsoft's Website was aimed at Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, so some of its suggestions may not work in Windows 10; however its still worth reading as it explains these issues and offers tips to resolve things:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/use-different-language-app

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have had to play with those settings , even with earlier OSs. My problem is similar. I have Danish as my input language, but my OS, was originally the English (US) version. The display was easy enough to change, although not really needed, due to the similarity, but I downloaded the English(UK) language pack and the rest was automatic.

But I had no wish to associate anything with the Danish language. In the end, the only way I could do it was by changing my Region to the UK and the Date and time format to English (UK)
In Windows 10 I accomplished this in the old Control Panel - Region Location tab., and in the Time and Date settings.

Difficult, though, to comprehend how you are having OS items in French, if you Display language is English. Maybe you can switch off a couple of items in Settings - Location, at the bottom of the Window.

Reaction score
I have never been able to solve this problem, although I am trying Regedit's recent suggestion.

My desktop has the full version of Windows 10, upgraded from the full version of Windows 7. But my three laptops have the Windows 10 Single-language edition, updated from the Windows 8 Single language edition (Spanish). Despite all my efforts, I finally set the Spanish keyboard to English and learned the differences for a small number of keys.

Ask a Question