SOLVED Can we say I need a break

Reaction score
I had to send my computer in for repair after an automatic update of Windows 10 anniversary messed it up. The warranty company installed a new hard drive with windows 8.1 installed. okay fine

now, I cannot get my printer to work, won't install with dc from HP

my windows media player doesn't play DVDs and the program with I purchased from microsoft will use Windows 10. now what?

I tried to call the manufacturer for help with an EOM disc but they are requiring me to purchase and I really only wanted to access their cloud, which their tech said I should be able to do once logged in, but no, I cannot.

I know this is a lot, but I am so frustrated right now. Is there any thing I can do to get my pc to work again?

Thanks

Reaction score
I guess they are only required to do what was factory installed. Actually, the pc had Windows 8 and I updated when I first purchased it. I am so leary of installing Windows 10 and not having control of what updates that get installed. My head is hurting from all of this.

Reaction score
smarterror.aspx
your link doesn't help anymore.

Reaction score
Or this (Eng)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

but,
But!!
First create an image of you current installation - This is important5. There are several reliable image tools available, I would recommend Macrium:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

This will enable you to put your original installation back, in the event of an unrecoverable disaster. But, could you give details of your comment , "after an automatic update of Windows 10 anniversary messed it up"
I am sure that, whatever the problem, it can be sorted by members on this site.

Reaction score
Or this (Eng)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

but,
But!!
First create an image of you current installation - This is important5. There are several reliable image tools available, I would recommend Macrium:
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

This will enable you to put your original installation back, in the event of an unrecoverable disaster. But, could you give details of your comment , "after an automatic update of Windows 10 anniversary messed it up"
I am sure that, whatever the problem, it can be sorted by members on this site.

Thanks for the updated link. I am still trying to decide if I want to install Windows 10 again, but I can make the USB file. What a nightmare this has been. Some of my old programs do not like being transferred but I'm finding ways. My printer is a problem though. I've downloaded from the manufacturer's site but Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize it at all. I'm thinking of deleting the download and trying to reinstall.
Also, I have downloaded another program (no disc) and W8 put it in with my documents instead of programs. Very strange.

Reaction score
I guess they are only required to do what was factory installed. Actually, the pc had Windows 8 and I updated when I first purchased it. I am so leary of installing Windows 10 and not having control of what updates that get installed. My head is hurting from all of this.
Since I fresh installed Windows 10 during the Summer it has works very well (apart from the Anniversary Update in August which caused some minor but annoying problems for many people, all gone now in my case). I was at first unhappy with the idea of updates to Windows 10 being out of my control I am happy with this now. They have always worked perfectly for me.

This forum is dedicated to those with problems. How many Windows 10s have now been installed? Many tens perhaps hundreds of millions I think. Deducting some installations with problems that this forum doesn't see, the chance of trouble is very small. I also think you should fresh install Windows 10 from Microsoft's site (you will have to pay for it now) using their Media Creation tool. The version of Windows 10 that will be installed will be the current version. The chances of that way forward seems to me better than you trying to correct all the various faults that you have.

One further point: my computer shop guy (reliable) told me last Summer that some of the complaints about the reliability of Windows 10 were due to them being installed on older computers. I don't know how old is "old" but I guess about 5 or 6 years. Another opinion I heard was that Windows 10 is a fairly radical change from Windows 7 concerning the demands it puts on a computer, so that might stress "old" machines. How old is yours? (Mine was new last June.)

Reaction score
Stevekir, thanks for your encouragement. My laptop is only 2.5 yrs old and I was enjoying Win 10 until the 1067 uptdate (anniversary). I am planning to do the USB thing, hopefully this will result in my programs working and my printer being recognized by the OS.

Reaction score
It is possible, that steve's suggestion that you will have to pay for windows 10, is correct. But, as I re4ad your posts, I get the impression that Windows 10 has been installed on your computer, at some time previously.(?)
In that case, it has already been registered withy the Microsoft servers, and there is no need, with the existing motherboard, for you to need another key or purchase Windows 10
In advance, when and if you try to install again, ignore the prompt at the beginning, where you have a window asking for your key. Select the comment at the bottom "I dont have a key". Sounds odd, but is the correct way to do it. Inserting a key will lead the installation into trouble.

I would emphasize Steve's second para.

Unfortunately, and this has been the case through several OSs, the very vocal minority, who have had prolems or just do not like Windows (10), are very loud. They are seen in particular, on forums where difficulties are discussed - even this one. Windows 10 is a fine OS. The update system is, at the moment, undesirable, but the good news is that it is planned to be changed soon.

Reaction score
I would like to inform you that for some reason my printer is working today!:p
I have made the USB Windows 10 file from the link provided here using the tool from Microsoft, hopefully, I will feel more confident in a month to install it again because it was working well for me and Windows8 is a PITA. hate the way I have to get to my apps.
Wanting to thank all who helped me.:)

Reaction score
It's amazing what a shutdown and re-boot will do. That procedure has fixed many PC's, mine included.

Ask a Question