Cannot type in search box now

Reaction score
Hi,

I have updated to Windows 10 and all went well. Looks great.

However, since yesterday, I have not been able to type in the search bar. One clicks the mag glass or search box but nothing happens.

I tried some suggestions posted on the net, such as:

SFC/scannow

Windows powershell key "Get -AppXPacjkage -Allusers......."

DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth......"

Checked for any more Windows updates

None of this worked.

I then created a new user to find that it works with a new profile. It seems we are at the mercy of a user profile that could become corrupt at any moment and the only solution is to create another user.

Not ideal!

Any workaround/fix?

Thank you

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have exactly the same problem. Yesterday I updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10. Initially everything was working fine, but suddenly the Search Box stopped working.

I have also tried SFC/scan, installed all updates, but still the search bar is not working.

Can anyone help us please ? It will be really appreciated.

@Sergio - Did you create a new Microsoft account or local account ? I did create a local account and unfortunately it did not work for me.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
H

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oddly, the same thing happened to me last week - but on 7 home!! IE11
Happened while trying to resolve why I was getting the 'upgrade' error for Windows 10..
It has NOT showed up on my machine, but I found about 5 errors for W10, which has no
corresponding trace of any Updates/Upgrades having been loaded. !!!!

Had to drop the Window 10 error, and fix my IE11 issue of not being able to enter in any box.
Finding that I couldn't re-install IE11, I had to UNINSTALL it.. I found it in the updates, from a year ago.
Uninstalled it to find my IE10 back, and no 'remembered' passwords! (ARG)
Worse - the re-install of IE 11 (from the DL'd .EXE package) it kept failing with no error code, no clue
as to why. At least I have the input boxes back with IE10

(I'm leaving out all the tedious try this try that with reboots over & over)
Next day, an update for IE 10 arrived, after one failed update, the second try worked.
Suspecting IE11 upgrade failed because my IE10 was downlevel, I retried the IE11 .EXE install,
but it still fails as before.
The following day, an optional update showed up - Upgrade to I.E. 11 !!
It too fails, but with undocumented error code. The IE11 .EXE still fails..

I'm beginning to see why so many of my friends are refusing to install Windows 10..
Just read this article this A.M.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...10-forced-updates-causing-endless-crash-loop/

Reaction score
@Hristo

I created a local account (admin rights) and it worked. Not sure why it's not doing the same on your OS.

It'a a shame that these bugs are creaping up on us now despite the extensive "Insider" program.
MS is not stepping up to the plate...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have updated to Windows 10 and all went well. Looks great.

However, since yesterday, I have not been able to type in the search bar. One clicks the mag glass or search box but nothing happens.

I tried some suggestions posted on the net, such as:

SFC/scannow

Windows powershell key "Get -AppXPacjkage -Allusers......."

DSIM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth......"

Checked for any more Windows updates

None of this worked.

I then created a new user to find that it works with a new profile. It seems we are at the mercy of a user profile that could become corrupt at any moment and the only solution is to create another user.

Not ideal!

Any workaround/fix?

Thank you
I encountered the same problem. Not to be able to type anything into the search box of Windows 10. Uop to now no clear solution.

Reaction score
Cheers!!
I got it right back
from this Here https://basics.net/2016/12/20/windows-10-cant-type-in-search-field/comment-page-3/#comment-306494

After I had done some changes in Windows 10 to make it faster and less "chatty" to Microsoft (switch off Telemetry, switch off error reporting etc.) I could not use search any more. Symptoms were:

• Can't type into Cortana search field
  • Can't type to search in Start Menu
  • Can't type to search in Win 10 App Store
  • Can't type in taskbar search
  • Can't type in Settings search
There are lots people with the same or similar issues as can be seen from a simple Internet search "win 10 taskbar search not working".

Unfortunately, from all the suggestions, nothing worked for me:

• Re-install Cortana (keyboard search should also work without Cortana, so that did not help)
  • Kill the Cortana/Search process
  • Rebuild the search index
  • Re-install all default apps
  • Restart the "Windows Search" service
  • Run the "Search and Indexing" Troubleshooter
  • Run system file checker (SFC) to search for currupted files
  • Re-install the keyboard driver
After some hours of poking around, I found that I could right-click in the search field and paste the contents of the clipboard! And I saw the correct search results. So the index must have been fine. It looked like a keyboard issue, not a search issue.

But the keyboard worked in any application (e.g. Notepad, Excel etc.) just not in the searches. I started to suspect that it could be a Windows 10 "Modern Apps" issue. As I never use Modern Apps, I first had to load one (I chose "Calculator"), and - Bingo! - I could not enter any numbers via the keyboard. I could only click on the numbers, but could not type them.

I found that the keyboard did not work for any Windows 10 Modern Apps, just for the traditional desktop apps. Finally I found through some Internet searches how to solve this problem:

1. Open Task Scheduler
  2. Go to Microsoft > Windows > TextServicesFramework
  3. On MsCtfMonitor, do a right-click and enable the task
  4. Restart your machine
That's it. All the search boxes worked again!

Update: If the task MsCtfMonitor is missing from the list of tasks, you can import it with the .XML file below:

MsCtfMonitor.xml

Ask a Question