SOLVED Canon printer not recognised after latest update

Reaction score
Completed the latest windows 10 update this afternoon and my Canon printer is now not recognised - hence I can't print! I have uninstalled the device then reinstalled but am being told that it is an unknown device and there are no drivers available for it. This is doing my head in... the printer itself is only around a year old (and is a printer/fax). All help welcome!

Reaction score
Not knowing anything about the computer nor the type of connection computer to printer my first advice has been to assure if a USB cable is being used that it is plugged into a USB 2 [black center] port instead of a USB 3 [blue center] port.

Reaction score
Thank you! The link Ben provided has fixed the problem. Easily downloaded the needed drivers and it's all now all good.

Reaction score
How old is your printer / what model is it??

I have two printers from Canon, one iP4200 and one i865 which I bought over a decade ago and they work on Windows 10 flawless. as suggested a visit to the Canon support site is recommended. Alternative you can look for the drivers in the windows update catalog:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Reaction score
How old is your printer / what model is it??

I have two printers from Canon, one iP4200 and one i865 which I bought over a decade ago and they work on Windows 10 flawless. as suggested a visit to the Canon support site is recommended. Alternative you can look for the drivers in the windows update catalog:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

Hi Grizzly

I am trying to get my Canon i865 to work with W10 but having tried all that's suggested, my PC just keeps on telling me 'Driver is unavailable'

How did you manage to get your i865 working flawlessly, you lucky person?

Downloaded W7 driver, as suggested by Canon website for use with W10 but this hasn't sorted the problem

Would a CAB file from Microsoft Update make any difference? I downloaded one but don't know what destination to place it in

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I have little money for a fancy new printer at the moment

Thanks

Reaction score
Problem solved! Happy days!

Worked out how to install the printer manually, which I hadn't done before

Driver worked fine, after the printer had showed up

I was also very surprised, that the printer which had been dormant for months and gathering dust, printed spot on straight away

I have saved myself about £300 GBP, for the time being

Reaction score
Which driver are you using?? My printer driver is version 6.1.7333.0 .

BTW: I got the driver from the Update catalog of Microsoft ( search for CANON i865 ). there are two: the larger one is a 64bit version while the other is the 32bit version (with the same date)

Last edited:

Ask a Question