All programs refuse to "Print" to pdf, xps, paper, etc. My Canon printer works perfectly. ANOTHER Wi

Reaction score
In Dec 2015 my Dell desktop computer running Windows 10 suddenly, and for no apparent reason, became unable to act on the "Print" button in any program. Not only can I now create no paper print job, but I cannot even print to pdf or xps.

WordPad announces "WordPad !Could not start print job" when asked to print on paper or pdf or xps.

IrfanView produces the full print photo option dialog, but does nothing once I tap the final "Print."

FireShot Screen Capture will "Save to pdf" but will not "Print to pdf."

WordPerfect announces "PrintServer !Error initializing output" when asked to print to paper or pdf, and stops responding (with 'Print driver host for applications' persistently consuming 46% of CPU) when asked to print to Microsoft xps. WordPerfect will however publish to pdf.

I ran the online Troubleshooter for my Canon MP250, and the entire checklist is OK. The printer can easily scan and save, and can also easily print a paper copy from the platen. Also, the printer works perfectly when removed from Windows 10 and connected to my offline, not-updated Windows XP standby computer.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the printer with the latest drivers.(The only Canon-related possible clue is the Canon report "Driver install status : 0, 1, N, 1" but no labels are provided to make sense for me. The 'N' just looks ominous.)

In my mind, this looks like a fresh vexatious pure Windows 10 issue. Will you please advise/coach me? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you remove the Canon Printer, its' driver(s) and any associated software packages from your computer completely, can.......
You then use the native PDF and XPS printer(s) without problem?
IF not.... after removing all things Canon from the computer and of course disconnecting the printer can you run the native System File Checker to see if it produces any information.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter
let it finish.
Is the print spooler service running and set to Automatic as the startup type?

Reaction score
THANK YOU, Trouble, for your input, which I cheerfully used.

Overview: No 'printing' even with "all Canon'"removed and 'scannow' performed. ~ Details >>

After disconnecting my Canon MP250 printer, then using the Control Panel to remove all programs named Canon, I searched System C, found, & deleted : cnmss Canon MP250 series Printer (Local).dll as well as several folders similar to Perry/ App Data/Roaming/Canon, Programs/Common Files/Canon, and dozens of 'Canon' png files just to be thorough.

In Services (Local), I stopped then restarted (with Automatic selected) both the Print Spooler and Printer Extensions & Notifications.

Next, I attempted to print from WordPad, using Microsoft Print to PDF, Foxit Reader Print to PDF, and Microsoft XPS Document Writer. WordPad responded with "Could not start print job." As soon as I clicked the final Print button for XPS, my PC choked, and Task Manager reported Print driver host for applications = 48% of CPU and Windows WordPad Application = 46% of CPU. As soon as I ended both tasks, CPU fell dramatically.

As before, WordPerfect announced an error but created an apparent pdf file, using Foxit Reader Printer, which when opened announced: "Format error. Not a pdf or corrupted." An attempt to print from WordPerfect using Microsoft Print to PDF caused WordPerfect to crash & close. WordPerfect remains able to successfully "Publish to PDF."

>> THEN >> I ran the sfc/scannow as you suggested. The final report says that corrupt files were found and fixed. There has been some improvement in that now when I try to print to Foxit PDF from Wordpad, the CPU for Wordpad still soars to 46% (normally only 0-2%) , but the Printer driver host for applications CPU is now low-or-nil instead of 48% also. When I now try to print to MS PDF or MS XPS, no file gets created, but the CPU no longer soars in the attempt. So my PC at least doesn't now "choke & gag."

WordPerfect is unchanged except that it no longer crashes in the attempt to print to XPS.
Print Spooler still running & automatic.

Not until December had any similar problems presented themselves. I had made no changes to my PC at that time. I merely turned on Windows 10 Updates in November ("Download updates even over a metered connection"), and soon thereafter my camera stopped and all printing methods failed.

THANK YOU for your suggestions, the logic for which was crystal clear and designed to elicit additional relevant facts!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without reinstalling anything Canon on the computer take the time to Clean Boot the machine
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for 8 / 8.1 (same for 10)
After you have stopped all startup items as well as all non-Microsoft services.
See if you can simply open notepad put a couple XXXXXX's on the page and do a file print to XPS and see what happens.

Reaction score
In Startup + Task Manager, should I even disable NVIDIA (something to do with my Dell monitor)?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Disable all startup items and all non-Microsoft services.
Easily done, easily undone. Not to worry, just don't touch any of the Microsoft Services, leave them alone.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance. I plowed ahead with the Clean Boot & Restart.
Using NotePad, I get no print job, but these messages:
Foxit Reader Printer: "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued."
MS PDF or XPS: "The handle is invalid."

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
FoxIt Reader, a program that I know well, like and use a lot, seems to be factoring in to your replies continuously, even though in no other of my posts have I suggested using it in any diagnostic process, so.....
Please uninstall it.
Reboot....
Maybe run Ccleaner just for good measure
Reboot.....
Test again with just notepad and XPS

Reaction score
All things "Canon" (my paper printer) have been previously uninstalled & purged from System C.

Foxit Reader uninstalled and all things "Foxit" (lots of AppData and xml files) purged from System C.

CCleaner run, including Registry Cleaner. >>> Restarted.

Now, as before, NotePad cannot print to either MS PDF or MS XPS. "The handle is not valid."

Hopeless? I'm sure weary, but will be grateful for advice, even if it is: "Wait til Microsoft can Update this mess." ;-)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try a different app, other than notepad, try wordpad, IE, and see if you get the same "handle" error.

Reaction score
Attempting to Print to MS XPS and MS PDF >>>

WordPad
: "Could not start print job."
MS Edge shows only three possibilities for printing, two of which are actually gone: Canon MP250 & Foxit Reader Printer. Journal Note Writer = nothing produced, not even a dialog box; "Not connected" according to Settings page, on which a Search produces zero results for possible tweaks.
Thunderbird: "Printer error - An error occurred while printing."
WordPerfect: "PrintServer - Error initializing output device."
R click on jpg: Dialog box perfect, but no pdf or xps produced.
Irfanview jpg: Dialog box perfect but no pdf, xps, or journal note produced.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm stumped.
I went through something similar that I covered in this post in a thread regarding a Lexmark Printer.
I don't know if you'll find it helpful or not but there's some information there that might possibly apply to your situation.
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...-not-working-after-kb3116900.6277/#post-26892
I'm thinking that something got ahold of the print processor subsystem and just is not letting go.
IF you manage to resolve this, please post back with any information your find that might have helped you.

Ask a Question