Good antivirus programs

Reaction score
what is a good antivirus program to use in windows 10. i used chromebooks for years and all of a sudden they became end of life junk machines. and to get new machines that again had googles protection i had to buy 400$ machines that do nothing but web search. so i opted for windows machines again that at least i can work with. but int he 5 or more years away from pc machines i have lost track of what antivirus is good. the windows 10 has the defender built into them but i understand it will not protect against everything. so now i have to get a good reliable antivirus program. it use to be you could get them for free but now i see that has vanished. so for now i have spybot and avg and malwarebytes. so what i need to find out is what works together? on the windows 10 forums they show a graph of programs and bitdefender was a good one but then they did not go further with the thread so i'm asking here to see if anyone has advice that seems to be a consistent trend.

i know from days past that antivirus programs did not like to run together, has that changed? also of the good programs do any of them have pricing that allows me to run more than one machine on the license? i have 4 machines and it can get pricey.i asked this here or another windows forums can't remember but it seemed drop off.

thanks for any help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I employ the native Windows Defender product along with Malwarebytes Premium. I'm reasonably confident in that configuration.
i understand it will not protect against everything
Pretty sure that none of them do.
At least not always or all the time.

Reaction score
I use Bitdefender free version along with W 10 defender and malwarebytes always seen to work well for me:)

Reaction score
yes that is what someone said before when i asked but i went to bitdefender and it did not seem to run well for me. it may be due to the other programs i have going. i will try that again. ok i downloaded it and it fails because of malwarebytes. it does not like that program so i don't understand how you run both on your machines. that is why i did not install bitdefender.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I rely solely on Windows Defender on my machines and have been without issues so far. On my Windows 7 machine though I run AVAST free. That does the trick there. I would stay away from anything Norton, McAfee. I do not recommend AVG as well although it belongs now to Avast. I have not tried Avira for quite some time, so I cannot say anything about it (at the time I used it, it wasn't a good one - too many issues).

Reaction score
I rely solely on Windows Defender on my machines and have been without issues so far. On my Windows 7 machine though I run AVAST free. That does the trick there. I would stay away from anything Norton, McAfee. I do not recommend AVG as well although it belongs now to Avast. I have not tried Avira for quite some time, so I cannot say anything about it (at the time I used it, it wasn't a good one - too many issues).
that is what i have now defender, avast and malwarebytes and spybot. i do not do any out of the way searches and i don't click on any emails that i do not know. but that is not to say someday the emails will get good enough to trick you like the incoming phone calls now do by giving you number you think you know. i just tried bitdefender and it would not run with malwarebytes running. malwarebytes end in a few days and i will again try it and see how it works along with the other ones unless they say here that is not worth doing. thanks

Reaction score
Just a heads up, not sure if there's any truth to it.
I just received a text message from my 14 year old Grandson. He informes me that that there is new malware circulating that's disguised as Xbox. Malwarebytes is catching it, Windows Defender Isn't.
I run both Malwarebytes and Defender.

Reaction score
+ 1 on the Windows Defender, I have no problems at all with it, I have never had any major problems and it only occasionally pipes up about something!. :)

Reaction score
+ 1 on the Windows Defender, I have no problems at all with it, I have never had any major problems and it only occasionally pipes up about something!. :)
That doesn't mean others won't. It's detection rates are average, and it has an issue with false positives. But it is better than nothing.

Reaction score
I understand that. But when you combine that with the poor detection rates, I could never recommend Defender. It's something I don't trust my data to. The same way as I would never trust Internet Explorer. And that goes back to IE 3.

Reaction score
Hi @BigFeet,

I was recently working on a PC with a very powerful virus infection, attached the HDD via an adaptor cable to my W10 rig and eventually it caused a BSOD during scanning with WD :mad:, I did manage to remove Avira which was installed (Pro no less) and install Avast, Avast caught the bug almost within the first 2 mins!. I take back all I said about WD, it ain't what it's cracked up to be!. :)

I am still holding off on installing Avast but I think I will soon!. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have always used Kapersky internet security and have updated it this time to Kapersky Total Security.
Never ever had any problems over many years. Coupled with Malwarebytes free, very strong package.

Reaction score
I have always used Kapersky internet security and have updated it this time to Kapersky Total Security.
Never ever had any problems over many years. Coupled with Malwarebytes free, very strong package.
This threads a bit old.

Reaction score
iam currently using windows defender alongside malware hunter. i used to use norton security essentials that was supplied by my ISP. but after a few times the update to definitions failed to update, i dropped it.

Reaction score
Hi Big Feet.
Just as a matter of interest, do you remember my thread about not being able to open Firefox? How could you forget,he he!
Problem was caused by program "Process Lasso". (wrong settings) Thought I would let you know as you were extremely helpful.:)

Reaction score
I support a bunch of home users...Those on W10 I use Windows Defender...and after about 2 years I have had no problems on about 200 users....On my own system I use Win Def...MBAM...and Vipre....Back in the day when Vipre was promoting their product hard....I took advantage of a 10 seat...lifetime license....and I have NOT regretted it on little bit....So I have three W10 systems at home and ALL of them use Win Def...Vipre...and licensed MBAM...I do full virus scans with other products about 3 times a year....so far....all I get are a few PUP's...

Reaction score
I have switched to Windows Defender also and so far it's be great, I do however run ASC often as well.

Ask a Question