Restarting/turning off stuck and antivirus issue

Reaction score
Hi , I have the following issue on my computer:
I am using Avast free edition on my system which is a window 10 ( Upgraded from windows 7)..
Yesterday all of a sudden windows started telling me that my antivirus protection is disabled ...Avast notification indicates that "I am protected" with the green checkmark , however looking in the program settings i then noticed an update is required..I updated the program..I believe I then rebooted and thats the first time my windows got STUCK on the restarting screen..I had to turn of power supply to turn the computer off..Upon reboot windows kept telling me that my antivirus is disabled..
I then ran https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (avast uninstal utility) , uninstalled the problem btw it required a reboot and i think that time it rebooted fine to safemode..
Upon rebooting windows no longer told me my protection is disabled and indeed i tested the antivirus with eicar test file..However the computer now is again stuck on restarting and shutting down...It boots up and works seemingly without any issues but I cannot turn it off..Could this be due to or related to windows updates ?What are the possible causes of my problem.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi , I investigated the issue myself and found some interesting information:
it turns out that when I uninstall Avast antivirus the issue disappears..
HOWEVER when i tried another free antivirus , AVG , the issue appeared again..The computer can turn off/restart ONLY when an antivirus isn't installed...

Any help??

Reaction score
A good test would be to uninstall Avast. Turn on Windows Defender . Do a Windows update to ensure Defender's data is uptodate and see if the problem goes away.

Reaction score
A good test would be to uninstall Avast. Turn on Windows Defender . Do a Windows update to ensure Defender's data is uptodate and see if the problem goes away.
Hi , indeed I tried to unistall avast , and INDEED , as i wrote with the followup , my issue goes away when antivirus software is altogether not installed on the computer...however when reinstalling avast , and also another antivirus (tried avg) the issue comes back..Any ideas?

Reaction score
Windows defender is currently turned on antivirus software isn't installed..But im actually looking for a solution to the specific issue ( in other words I would like to be able to use my antivirus software and be able to turn off the pc)..Also i updated the defender definitions..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does the machine work properly with Defender on and no 3rd party AV product installed? If so then surely you are OK. I bet it will work and reboot and be just fine.
You have AV and you have a working machine.

FWIW a lot of W10 update and install problems are instantly cured when 3rd party AV suites are uninstalled and replaced by Defender. This has been true since the early days of W10. Many people also install MalWareBytes as that lives with Defeneder and W10 comfortably.

Reaction score
Does the machine work properly with Defender on and no 3rd party AV product installed? If so then surely you are OK. I bet it will work and reboot and be just fine.
You have AV and you have a working machine.

FWIW a lot of W10 update and install problems are instantly cured when 3rd party AV suites are uninstalled and replaced by Defender. This has been true since the early days of W10. Many people also install MalWareBytes as that lives with Defeneder and W10 comfortably.
The machine works properly but o_O "you have AV" ...I am trying to install the specific antivirus software that I want , why can't I do so?What was the issue that caused the restarting/shutting down issue with the third party antivirus?<<== NO answers were yet given to that SPECIFIC question and I am waiting for such answers...Until then I'll be here trying to RESOLVE the issue rather than settling on using windows defender ..

Reaction score
Is your AV uptodate? From Avast or AVG? The system not just the data?
Yes , when I installed the AVG for example , it automatically updated (the system was the latest from their site so surely it was up to date)..Avast was updated as well..

Reaction score
In your initial post you said you ran an Avast uninstall-utility. There may be still remnants of the program hanging around. Open Windows "Programs and Features" in the control panel and check if there is any reference to the uninstalled (avast) program.

Ask a Question