Windows 10 Keeps Restarting

Reaction score
I've been having all kinds of problems with my pc first I got the blue screen saying something about memory I found out I needed to install non eec mem . I did that then I couldn't access my hard drives. I tried to recover from a backup but that failed.I tried to reset it and that wouldn't work. I've done so many things I can't remember them all. When it all first started I put 3 different motherboards in it and they all made the pc power on and off repeatably finaly I found this on and it worked kinda then it kept failing it was kinda strange because all of a sudden it would boot after a fresh install of windows 10. but every now and then it shuts down and restarts

Reaction score
IIRC that can be a function of a W10 installation not being activated. Go to settings - windows update - activation and see if you are activated. Changing motherboards is a sure fire way to lose activation as MS takes that as being a new PC.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be Blue Screening and restarting.
To figure out if that is what is happening.....

First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.
You may have a problem with a hardware component or a hardware driver issue. It might even be a less than adequate power supply or possibly a firmware (BIOS) update may be required.
Reduce the machine to base components.
Just the motherboard, a single stick of memory, you may have to experiment with alternating modules to make sure you have a good one that you are using.
IF the mother board has integrated components (video, audio, network adapter) use them and avoid installing any add-in cards and avoid attaching any peripherals (printers, USB dongles, etc.)
Tell us which motherboard you are using .... Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, Revision Number, current BIOS number.

Reaction score
With all this going on, the first thing I would suspect would be the PSU. I suggest you first check your PSU and make sure it's good and that it's putting out enough power to exceed the combined peak requirements of all components by at least 25%. There are simple and relatively inexpensive PSU testers at Amazon and elsewhere online. Also make sure your CPU cooler is properly attached, has good thermal paste, and is functional because if it isn't, that could cause a thermal shutdown or event.

Reaction score
I have just had an interesting and learning experience, which may comfort others.
My camera crashed on one of my Dell (Latitude 5770) laptops. It was under guarantee. With some force applied to Dell, by my son, who was, until recently, a certified Dell Tech, I had a new camera sent. This one did not work either. As a result, Dell supplier was obliged to send me a new motherboard, on the understanding (due to my son's past, that I could install it myself.
When the motherboard came out, it was easy to see that the chip had been badly burned. Pictures taken..etc, for the sake of the guarantee.
The essence of my post:
The new motherboard and camera were installed. Booted up on my original SSD. Everything ran perfectly and the machine was activated.

Ask a Question