SOLVED Can't get rid of trial version of WinZip

Reaction score
I recently received a large folder of zipped photos. When on the 8.1 Windows platform I had temporarily used a trial version of WinZip to unzip some photos over a year ago. I had been told that Windows 10 would enable me to extract these files and to view them as JPEG files. When I went to pursue this route by right-clicking the folder, WinZip appears to tell me that I must purchase their software to continue. I went to the Control Panel to delete WinZip, but it would not permit me to do so. When using File Manager I do not have the extract dropdown option - only WinZip.

How do I get rid of this beast?

Gordon
Houston, Texas

Reaction score
WinZip has set itself up as the default and in use. This is possibly why you cannot dlete it. Windows has a built in extractor, which is good enough for most purposes.
When you right click the zip file, in the drop down menu, you should see an entry "open with". Do I understand this is not available?
But, if it is,Click this, and the next option(s) will be to open with, probably winzip, but also file explorer. First, at the bottom, click the square that says "Always open with..etc" Then click file explorer.

This will unzip the files and also place the built in unzipper as the default.

You may then find you can delete the offending folder.
Alternatively, right click the start icon and select the Control panel.
Open "Default programs" and the first option, "Set your default programs"
Scroll down to and click, "File Explorer"
Bottom right, click "Choose defaults for this program"
Make sure the last item "Explorer Zip..." is selected.
Bottom right "save"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks to you both. The WinZip article did the trick. And, I was subsequently able to Extract the zipped files successfully, as described.

Life in the slow lane can be tedious...

Gordon

Reaction score
ok so im using my moms computer and i looked through the default programs thing and i didnt find the file explorer and i already tried the other two options but they arent working up im not unzipping photos so maybe its different but like does anyone have any idea on how to find the fie explorer?

Reaction score
No problem. The thread is marked as solved as in rather old.
Feel free to come again if you have any problems.
Always a good idea to have a quick look at the date of the thread - things move and change often in Windows 10.

Ask a Question