Can't join Homegroup on this computer.

Reaction score
I just installed a new router because the old one would not reach 40' to the last bedroom, now it does!
I decided it was time to set up HomeGroup for my 2 Win 10 desktop and 1 Win 7 laptop (which won't upgrade to Win 10.
Now I can't set up HomeGroup on one desktop running Win 10 Home 64 Bit version 1607, build 14393.187.
I had no problem setting HomeGroup on the desktop running Win 10 Home 32 Bit version 1511, build 10586.589.
When I tried to set it up on the Win 7 Home 32 bit, I was told to enter the password, but it would not accept the password that I used on the Win 7 HomeGroup 6 months ago!. I was going to "leave" the old Win 7 HomeGroup, but I could not find the Link to do that, nor could I search for the password on the Win 7 laptop.
I have been trying all the suggestions I could find on the Internet and now I am not happy with Win 10 version 1607 for leaving out of whatever was needed for the HomeGroup. That seems like a pretty stupid act, and worse not sending out a fix! This apparently been going on for months. Maybe they don't know how to fix it:eek:.
I have to admit I am a memory challenged 84 year old man.
Can I go back to version 1151? If so, how?

Reaction score
When you say you can't setup a HomeGroup on the 64bit .187, did you go to the Control Panel, Network and Internet and then HomeGroup? It should say if there is a HomeGroup on the network. If not, click on the button to create one. Then just use the same procedures on the other systems to join the new Network.

Windows 10 hasn't left anything out, even on .187

Reaction score
I followed your email and now my Win 7 laptop is in the Home Group along with my wife's Win 10 desktop.
However, no luck with my Win 10 desktop. Anytime I am invited to join the HomeGroup I get a popup which says Windows can't set up a HomeGroup on this computer. I have tried to go through different steps to get to where it says I can join the HomeGroup and entering the password I get the same popup.
I am flummoxed!!!!!

Reaction score
Check the HomeGroup Settings. Go to the Control Panel, Network and Internet, HomeGroup. Try the bottom link first, 'Start the HomeGroup Troubleshooter. If that doesn't work, go back and try the other link, 'Advanced sharing...'
Make sure you have Network Discovery turned on the Private Network.

Reaction score
Check the HomeGroup Settings. Go to the Control Panel, Network and Internet, HomeGroup. Try the bottom link first, 'Start the HomeGroup Troubleshooter. If that doesn't work, go back and try the other link, 'Advanced sharing...'
Make sure you have Network Discovery turned on the Private Network.

Thanks, but no success!
I have tried these steps, again, numerous times over the past week. If MS would do a search for" Can't join HomeGroup on this computer" they would see I am not the only one who can't get HomeGroup to work on all there Win 10 computers since the last upgrade, there must be thousands of us. SHAME, SHAME AND MORE SHAME ON MS.
This is my RED FLAG!!!

Reaction score
HomeGroup has always been notoriously slow. It is an attempt by Microsoft to simplify network so the novice can accomplish file sharing.

If you want to really 'fix' your networking issues, use the Advanced Sharing and use accounts and their credentials to share access between system.

Ask a Question