Can't join or create a homegroup on upgraded Win 10

Reaction score
I'm having problems a PC that I upgraded to win 10. All seemed to work well until I did a clean install of Win 7 on my second PC and tried to reconnect the PCs via homegroup.

As I began to setup the fresh Win 7 PC, I discovered I couldn't join the existing homegroup. Seemed reasonable, so I left all homegroups but found that the new homegroup on Win 7 couldn't be joined by Win 10 and I can't create one on Win 10. Network discovery is enabled on both but when I checked running services on Win 10, I found that Peer Network Grouping could not be started "on local machine" Error Code 1068). Network Discovery and IPv6 are enabled, etc.

In Network view, Win 7 can access the NAS as can Win 10, but they cannot access each other. I don't want to revert back to Win 7, but the thought of having to manage all file transfers through my NAS as an intermediary is undesirable.
I should have added that I had run the troubleshooters on both PCs and no problems were found by either the network or homegroup troubleshooters. PC 1 is running Windows 7 Home Premium and PC 2 is Win 10 with all updates.

When I first upgraded to Win 10 on PC 2, I was able to connect to homegroup, However, when I did a fresh install of Win 7 on PC 1, I have had this homegroup problem. As I recall this also affected my ability to share printer on Win 10 PC.

Your help in this will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
check the clean install of Win 7 did not rename the homegroup on there to the default WORKGROUP

Reaction score
I have removed homegroups on all machines, powered them on alone and tried to create or join on both the Win 7 and 10 devices. I can on 7 but still can't create or join with the Win 10 PC, (although I had been able to prior to Win 7 reinstall).
Troubleshooting is running again on 10 and has been doing network diagnostics for several minutes.
Gotta run and back later... many thanks.

Reaction score
I am new to Windows 10, just updated an hour ago on the two PC's. I can't undo or re-create the homegroup. What to do? I uploaded a screen shot for viewing. Thanks!

Attachments

• homegroup.jpg
    homegroup.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 838

Ask a Question